1

Topic: National Security

Canada will no longer be able to claim the longest unarmed border in the world.  Why?  Fear, of "21st-century criminals".  But what exactly are we afraid of?  Once again we can come to the conclusion of The Unknown.

Apun stjschool Forum

2

Re: National Security

So what is there to discuss now that we have 1) question and 2) answer?

3

Re: National Security

We know what criminals are capable of now. We're afraid of what we know can happen. Its very known, we're just afraid of what else they can do without us knowing.

4

Re: National Security

junruh wrote:

We know what criminals are capable of now. We're afraid of what we know can happen. Its very known, we're just afraid of what else they can do without us knowing.

Do we have to wait for these terrorists to kill hundreds like on 9/11? No, we have to defend ourselves. After several terror plots have been uncovered we need to be sucpisious. Otherwise we're waiting for disaster.

5

Re: National Security

I didn't say anything about not fearing terrorists, or defending ourselves.

6

Re: National Security

But do we really know what criminals are capable of? I read a story recently in the Edmonton Journal about a man who, still high and drunk from the night before and off his precribed medications, highjacked 2 vans to get to Edmonton in able to avenge the death of his brother ( who actually wasn't dead). (Sorry I couldn't link this, the Journal website is undergoing "renovations") Could anyone predict the actions of this guy? He threw his weapon (a 10 inch knife) out the window at the request of the driver, yet he still went to revenge this "death." Anyone wanna place bets on the next mass murderer's steps? cool

7 (edited by zelliott 2006-09-01 13:25:23)

Re: National Security

gfraser wrote:

Canada will no longer be able to claim the longest unarmed border in the world.

Why in the world would Canada no longer clain the longest unarmed border!?!? Where did this come from? Has there been a news article I missed?

Is it possible for us to choose something real as a challenge to our survival? That very statement portrays the term "xenophobia". There has been no evidence of an armed border thus far. Why worry about what we don't know will happen?

8

Re: National Security

zelliott wrote:
gfraser wrote:

Canada will no longer be able to claim the longest unarmed border in the world.

Why in the world would Canada no longer clain the longest unarmed border!?!? Where did this come from? Has there been a news article I missed?

Is it possible for us to choose something real as a challenge to our survival? That very statement portrays the term "xenophobia". There has been no evidence of an armed border thus far. Why worry about what we don't know will happen?

Steve Harper announced on last thursday that armed border guard will be posted on the U.S/CAN border. However they won't be armed for some time.

9 (edited by wmcauley 2006-09-01 13:40:10)

Re: National Security

Kleenex for Sale? wrote:
zelliott wrote:
gfraser wrote:

Canada will no longer be able to claim the longest unarmed border in the world.

Why in the world would Canada no longer clain the longest unarmed border!?!? Where did this come from? Has there been a news article I missed?

Is it possible for us to choose something real as a challenge to our survival? That very statement portrays the term "xenophobia". There has been no evidence of an armed border thus far. Why worry about what we don't know will happen?

Steve Harper announced on last thursday that armed border guard will be posted on the U.S/CAN border. However they won't be armed for some time.

They said that 600 guns would be given out every year, so everyone would be armed in 10 + years.

10

Re: National Security

The funny thing about all this is that the border guard will not be any more efficient with weapons. There are always idiots on both sides that pull over people like my family, and detain them for 45 min over illeagal frozen beef, while they wave through ten other people that could be carrying weapons. How clever is this, I ask you?

11

Re: National Security

i think we should do that deal where america makes radar devices on our land and rockets to shoot the rockets that could be potentially, deadly@##$@$$^%$#@%

12

Re: National Security

that would be potentially ... we'd win every single war

13

Re: National Security

Candy Apples wrote:

The funny thing about all this is that the border guard will not be any more efficient with weapons. There are always idiots on both sides that pull over people like my family, and detain them for 45 min over illeagal frozen beef, while they wave through ten other people that could be carrying weapons. How clever is this, I ask you?

There has been reports of border guards running away from potential threats in fear of their own security.
They can do a better job pulling over people with ground cow and checking everyone than they would with their buts in the air, head in the dirt, in the middle of a forest, leaving everyone to go through.

14

Re: National Security

Kesela wrote:

The funny thing about all this is that the border guard will not be any more efficient with weapons. There are always idiots on both sides that pull over people like my family, and detain them for 45 min over illeagal frozen beef, while they wave through ten other people that could be carrying weapons. How clever is this, I ask you?

I disagree, only for the fact that usually the people that pull you over have tips from other personnel to pull you over. Maybe the people being waved through have already been checked or will be later. Usually personnel doesn't just pull over someone for the heck of it.