26 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-29 10:26:51)

Re: The Son of Neptune - Rick Riordan

Frank walked into his grandmother’s room. She was asleep and didn't look too good. Sitting beside the bed was Mars. “She's ready to die. She has been ready for weeks, but she has been waiting for you,” Mars told Frank. Mars told Frank how Gaea sent the Greek here as bait to kill him because Gaea worries about him the most. He told Frank that Gaea is more worried about him than Jason and even Percy. Personally, I don't understand how Frank is more threatening to Gaea than Percy. Percy has defeated a countless number of Gaea’s followers in the past and Frank doesn't even know his power yet. Does it have to with Percy not remembering his past? Frank was also confused on why Mars said this, but Mars explained his families past. While he was explaining Frank finally put the pieces together. He remembered his mother telling him “You can be anything you want to be!” That is Frank’s family power, he could become anything he wanted. I was not expecting this, I thought that it was going to be fighting using guns, just like his mom.

27 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-22 14:56:11)

Franks grandma arranged for a pilot to be waiting at the airport, 3 miles from the house. When they arrived at the airport, Ella (the harpy) saw the plane and began freaking out because she was afraid. She said that harpies are supposed to fly by themselves and not by planes. They didn't want to leave Ella because she was their friend and she is very knowledgeable, but they were running out of time. Finally, Percy told her to hide and that he would send someone to find her. When they were on the plane, Percy slept, even though he didn't trust the plane. He dreamed of his brother, Tyson, who was a cyclops. He told Tyson that he was okay, but that he needed him to find Ella. Tyson was so happy that he finally got in contact with Percy. Tyson explains why earlier in the book, Percy was confused why the cyclopes were working with Gaea. He believed that they were good, and not bad because his brother was good and he was a cyclops.

28 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-22 14:56:44)

They woke up. It is June 24th, meaning that they have until evening to release death and save Camp Jupiter. I am not sure if they are going to make it because they still have a long way to go, in less than 12 hours. What even happens if they don't make it in time? Will they monsters, destroy Camp Jupiter, and go on to take over Camp Half-Blood? Will Gaea be able to rise, and take over the world without a problem, or will the gods be able to stop her. Also, lately Hazel has been thinking about how when they free Thanatos she might be claimed by death again, but if she is apart of the prophecy and apart of "the seven" if she dies how will the prophecy come true? I am not sure what is going to happen in the last few chapters, for there are so many events to occur. I am glad that this book is not reality, because it would be a scary situation to live in.

29 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-29 10:27:24)

Percy, Frank, and Hazel had just come up onto the hill, and could finally see the town, when Percy thought it would be a lot faster to cut across the field, instead of taking the road. Percy stepped on the soft ground I the ditch, and before Hazel could say anything, Percy sunk into the ground. The Author, Rick Riordan, used the phrase, “He sank like a stone, into the ground.” This is a simile because it is comparing Percy to a stone, using the word “like.” Rick Riordan also wrote, “... and the earth swallowed him.” This is personification because the earth can’t actually eat you. Percy’s whole body sunk into the earth, and Hazel's heart raced. She hadn’t thought about the dangerous musket since she left. As fast as they could Hazel and Frank each grabbed one end of Frank's arrow, and Hazel stepped into the musket.

30 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-29 10:27:32)

As soon as Hazel was submerged in the musket she froze in memory. She was back in New Orleans with her mother having a picnic. Hazel was only 7 years old. Her mother was in a wonderful mood because she had sold the first of Hazels jewels. Hazel’s mother spoke, “You could stay here,” but her eyes were white, and it was the voice of Gaea. Hazel knew it wasn’t real, but she couldn’t wake up. “You can have your old life back, and live in this moment forever. You can see Sammy. He missed you, and always wondered what happened,” Gaea said. Hazel began to cry, for all the emotions she had about her old life rushed into her head. This was a very sad moment for Hazel because she heard all about how Sammy, grew up, got married and had kids. I felt very sorry for Hazel because that was the life she could have had, with Sammy. Although Hazel was full of pain she tried her best to wake up from her dream. Hazel came back to present time and was drowning in the mud. One hand on the arrow, and Percy holding her ankle. Hazel frantically wiggled the arrow, and Frank pulled the two of them up. When they got to the surface, Hazel and Percy choked up mud, barely breathing. Percy looked at Hazel and thanked her because when he fell musket he believes that was where “The son of Neptune would drown in Alaska.”

31 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-22 14:52:20)

The 3 of them arrived, and Hazel instantly was afraid. She kept thinking, how Thanatos, could easily just touch her and she would die, again. Although Hazel was scared she didn't say anything to Percy, and Frank. It’s not like they could decide not to free Thanatos, the whole world was depending on them. “We’re here to save you,” Hazel explained. Thanatos was trapped in four, icy chains.  Thanatos was confused and asked Hazel if she knew what would happen if he was free. Hazel felt like crying but she held it in. Finally, Thanatos told them how to free him from the chains, “Only the fire of death can melt the chain of death.” Percy didn’t understand what this meant but, Frank knew exactly what Thanatos was talking about. Frank had to use his stick, the stick, that if it burned all the way, would end Frank’s life. I was not expecting this to happen, nor can imagine how Frank is feeling. All I know is that Frank wants to be as brave and selfless as his mother was.

"No fairness in death," is what Thanatos told Frank. This phrase has a very big meaning, because death comes at the most unexpected times to often the most unexpected people. It also happens to good people who haven't yet lived a full life, which is very unfair. Its unfair how some get to live life, get married, have kids, and grow old. Whereas others get taken by death much earlier. This reminds me how you never know if its the last time you are going to see someone. It shows how you should always act as if it could be the last time you see your loved ones. For example you should always say goodbye to your parents when you leave the house. It is not fair how Frank might have to die, but it is the selfless thing to do. Frank keeps thinking about how death is unfair, right before he lights the stick. As soon as it catches fire Frank can feel his life slipping away. He relives memories of his life, memories of his mom, his grandma, and of Percy and Hazel.

Frank continued to melt the chains, as Hazel took on the giant, and Percy fought off all of the ghosts. "Percy was a whirlwind," this is a metaphor because he wasn't literally a whirlwind, he was just fighting like one. Although Percy was destroying all of the ghosts, they kept coming back almost instantly. Finally, the first chain broke free, and Frank moved on to the next one. Frank continued to watch Percy, as he leads them further away from him. Frank wasn't sure of Percy's goal at first but then he saw one of the ghosts holding a golden eagle. The legion standard. Percy then knocked the standard bearer, grabbed the eagle, and drew them away. Frank had gotten so distracted watching Percy that he hadn't even noticed that the second chain had melted. He moved the fire to the next chain. The piece of wood was half gone, and Frank shivered. As he waited he kept thinking about what his grandmother had told him, "Your Juno's secret weapon. You can be anything you want to be." The third chain snapped and Frank saw that Percy was struggling to hold the ghosts off. Every time he killed one they instantly reformed. Finally, the fourth chain snapped, and death was released.

34 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-27 14:34:06)

Frank was still alive, but the piece of tinder was now, no bigger than a candy bar.  Frank picked up his bow, but then it dawned on him that the bow and arrows would be useless, for they were ordinary weapons from the hunting store. Frank had to use his gift.  Frank started towards Percy but heard Hazel scream in pain. He looked at Percy and after exchanging looks, Frank ran toward Hazel. "Be anything," Frank thought. He remembered the bald eagles he had seen on the train. He imagined himself becoming lighter, smaller and eventually lifting off the ground. Frank soared up and clawed the giant's eyes. Hazel was amazed, and couldn't believe that Frank had just changed forms. Together they knocked Alcyneus' out. Suddenly Frank got an idea. He tied the rope around the giant's foot and gave Hazel the other end. He told Arion to go, but Hazel pointed to Percy. Frank got so caught up in the moment that he had forgotten about Percy. Percy glanced at them and slammed riptide into the ice. The ice broke and carried, buildings, ghosts, and Percy over the edge. Does this mean the prophecy might be true after all? What if Percy drowns? How would he drown if he is the son of Neptune, and the water heals him?

Thanatos told Hazel and Frank it was to soon to know if Percy would make it. Frank felt horrible, but he had to focus on killing Alcyneus. Thanatos also told Hazel that she had helped saved him, and didn't seem to be on the list, so he didn't think it was necessary for him to claim her life. When he said this Hazel was so relieved, and finally could breathe. Thanatos told them how the doors of death is not a physical place, and that they would need a special guide to close them. He told them that they would need to start looking in the original Rome, where only one type of demigod could lead them. I think that Hazel is the one who will lead them to the doors of death because she has died. But, it could also be Piper or Jason. Before Thanatos left, Hazel asked him about her brother, Nico. He told her that her answer is waiting in Rome. This leads me to believe that Nico is not dead but trying to stop souls who are escaping from the doors of death.

36 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-29 10:27:13)

Frank told Arion to run. At first, I wasn't quite sure why Frank wanted to drag Alcyneus but then I knew exactly what he was doing. Frank wanted to get him out of Alaska, where he couldn't be killed. Arion ran until they arrived in Canada where Alcyneus woke. The giant had no idea what was going on and still believed they were in Alaska. "You can't kill me!" Alcyneus said, but he was wrong. Once they were done with the giant, Arion sped back to Glacier Bay. Percy was waiting for them with the golden eagle in his hand. I am very glad that the prophecy was not true and Percy didn't drown in Alaska. I was very doubtful at first because everything else in the prophecy had come true, so I assumed that Percy drowning would too. It took them 4 hours to get to Camp Jupiter. The camp was a disaster. "Each cohort was an island, in a sea of enemies." is how Rick Riordan explained the fight. This is a metaphor because the cohorts aren't actually islands, and the enemies aren't actually water.

During the battle, the demigods, and Romans were ahead when a warship arrived. To begin with, I instantly thought it was the Greek demigods (Annabeth, Leo, Piper) and Jason, but then I realized it was the Amazons. I was too quick to assume the Amazons were coming to help Polybotes, and fight on Gaea's side because Queen Hylla came fourth and yelled, "To my sister's aid." Reyna looked at her sister and her expression softened. This moment is very heartwarming because Reyna and Hylla have not seen each other in many years. While everyone else fought the monsters, (cyclopes, karpoi, and centaurs) Percy took on Polybotes. Percy knew that he needed the help of a god to kill the giant so he ran towards the city limits and called on Terminus. Percy asked Terminus to help him, but he told Percy that he doesn't kill giants. POlybotes caught up to Percy and ran toward him, but when he came to the "Pomerian line" Percy jumped to the side. "That's against the rules!" Terminus yelled. Polybotes looked at Terminus and stepped on him breaking the statue into 3 pieces. "Let's kill him," Terminus shouted to Percy. Percy grabbed Terminus' head and hit the giant as hard as he could with it, dissolving Polybotes.

Percy received a video message from Annabeth, Jason, Leo, and Piper warning him that a big warship was coming, and to not attack it. While Leo was talking, Hazel gasped. Percy then realized that he had seen Leo before. Not just in the messages, but in the picture that was on Hazel's wall. Her old boyfriend, from 70 years ago. "It can't be his name was Sammy Valdez," Hazel told her friends. But, something that Hazel doesn't know is that Leo's last name is "Valdez." Could Leo really be Sammy? That would explain why he didn't know anything before Camp Half-Blood. Was Leo brought back from death just like Hazel, or could he just be a descendant of Sammy? Whatever the answer is, it is very confusing, but it also makes sense. This book has been very interesting, and intense and I am really engaged with this twist Rick Riordan has chosen to end the book off with.