Topic: The Wind Singer by William Nicholson

This book starts in a desert with a native tribe when some people came and started to build a huge wooden structure in the middle of their camp. When they had finished their leader had started to climb up it and put a stone piece inside of the tower. Later that night when the came and blow onto the tower it a song, hence the name, The Wind Singer. Fast forward into the future and there you have your main characters, Bowman (kinda sounds like Bodyn right?) and Kestrel, they seem to follow the Hunger Games theme by being assorted into districts but instead of numbers they had colours. The only other difference is that you can move up in this hierarchy by improving your rating, you can do that by doing your job well and scoring high in the mandatory tests within the system. So pretty much nobody in their family likes the tests or the people in control. Kestrel had caused their family rating to drop by climbing The Wind Singer and swearing and cursing at the Emperor, she also caused it to drop when she went to the farthest back seat in class where the lowest scoring people in the class go, she also got pretty unlucky when she "befriended" Mumpo. I would suggest that you read this book because it's pretty kicking wizard.

2 (edited by bodyn.riley 2018-09-22 09:06:16)

Re: The Wind Singer by William Nicholson

Since last I wrote a lot happened. So when Kestrel came down from the tower she went home for a couple hours when the Chief Examiner came and dragged her off to the salt caverns, you could probably guess what they were used for. When she got down there she was threatened of being in the sewer with the people living in it. The Chief Examiner put her down there but when Kestrel got back up she attacked the Chief Examiner and stained his perfectly white clothes! After that Kestrel got arrested and put in "Special Teaching" which is studying for the next test for all your life, and she just stained his clothes, wow. when she got put in there she tricked someone to let her outside the doors and then she started to run for it, up into a huge tower with what seemed like had 800 steps. When she heard the wardens coming after her she turned toward a door and someone opened it. Till next time

It's next time and the person who opened the door is pretty awesome and important. It turns out that the person who let Kestrel in was the all mighty Emperor who has no control over anything that happens in Aramanth (that's the city name) but he has a beard to make up for it. The Emperor started to talk to Kestrel and how to end the tests, stop the examiners, and how to demolish the district system. They had to restore the voice in The Wind Singer. The Emperor gave her a map written in old Manth which neither of them could read but luckily the Emperor had already "known" what was on the map while Kestrel was still confused on what he was saying. Meanwhile at the Hath house (that's Hanno's, Ira's, Bowman's, Kestrel's, and Pinpin's house) Hanno, their father was packing up to go to prison, or a Study Course as they like to call it. The building was surrounded with marshals so Kestrel couldn't walk in through the front doors so she had to go around back alert bowman and have him sneak her inside. How he did I'm not sure but it worked and he hid her in the bathroom while he went t get his father to talk to her. When Hanno walked into the bathroom Kestrel started to tell him about the Emperor and showed him the map which he just so happened was able to read, The words on the map said The Great Way, The Crack-in-the Land, The Halls of Morah, and Into the fire. After saying what they had to say, they hugged, then their father left.

Now that their father's gone they're looking for Kestrel and that means she's got to get out of there, luckily for her everything seems to be fine because they saw Mumpo and decided to get him to be a diversion. It was quite simple really, all they did was got Mumpo to dress up as Kestrel then run. When the guards started to chase after Mumpo, Kestrel slipped out unnoticed, and it all would've gone to plan if Pinpin hadn't shouted Kess. It was at that moment one of the guards saw her and shouted for all the other guards to chase her with him, Bowman also joined Kestrel in running away even though he could've stayed there and not be chased by the biggest and only actual city. They ran down the streets and came to a manhole cover and went down into the sewers to find the salt caves. As they were walking they heard a noise which ended up being the people who lived in the salt caves, who were really old children, they took them some of the way to their home when they tried to pet Kestrel and Bowman which was pretty strange even for old kids who've been living most their life in a cave with very minimal human contact. Even though this happened it was a good thing they befriended Mumpo because he came and scared away the the strange people and then they started to run and ran into a mud pit.

Last time I wrote they were stuck in a mud pit because they weren't looking where they were going, which is probably worse than when I ran unto the wall because the same reason. Since Kestrel was already thrown down there once and it only went up to her knees she thought the same thing would happen which apparently wasn't the case. Once they reached their knees they kept sinking deeper and deeper until one of the mud people came to their rescue. Unfortunately they wouldn't let him back up until they grabbed a tixy plant which, in short, is a drug. While Mumpo was shouting, and screaming, and flailing around he accidentally grabbed the leaf and then they were pulled up and saved by an awesome person who was called Willum. Willum was generous enough to take everybody to where he lived and introduce them to his wife Jum, daughter Pollum, Aunt Unknown, and Grandfather unknown. (The author sure was creative with names).  After they met all the of the family they had a big supper of mudnut stew, mudnuts are the only food they have down there, after eating all their food they grew very tired and fell asleep

Kestrel, Mumpo, and Bowman currently have a good like of eating and sleeping until they actually had to work the next day, which is "horrible". It's also easy because all you have to do in this job is pick up buckets and move them. When Kestrel and Bowman heard that they had to work they were eager to jump to it since this was the only way they were going to get any food at all. The place of work that they were at was a very nice place full of mud and dirt just like every other place they had been, everyone there was part of the mudnut harvest where all you do is pick mudnuts all day. The mudnut harvest came and went but the part after was the better part, all they did was eat! This is coming from a guy who really likes to eat so that's why it's the better part. They eat roasted mudnuts, grilled mudnuts, cooked mudnuts, mudnut stew, all the males ate tixy leaves, and the young boys jump off of 25 foot poles into mud while tied to a rope and on tixy to see who can go deeper in the mud and stay in the mud the longest. Mumpo, being the awesome person he is, decided to join in on the fun and he beat everyone else because they all sucked and he was amazing at it. Unfortunately for Mumpo Kestrel decided to come along and not let him destroy anyone else because they had to go to the elders so they could find more out about where they were going.

Remember how Kestrel told Mumpo to get off the pole and stop doing flips into the mud so they could do something that was apparently more important than that. Even though they had a mission I still think it was stupid that the author couldn't make his book a little bit longer and put an extra chapter about the cool tricks Mumpo did. Back to story, The three friends were on their journey and had just made a 10 minute walk to the palace where the elders were and since it was the mudnut harvest all of the tiny children were there too. Now I need you to picture this, tiny children crawling all over a floor running into each other, crawling on each other, and crawling onto the elders only to fall off and start playing again. If you're imaging it right now and think it's adorable, well when Kestrel, Bowman, and Mumpo walked the elders put them to bed. Now I have one more thing for you to imagine, imagine all those children laying in one room sleeping when Mumpo walks in and curls up into a ball and sleeping with them. Once Mumpo and all the other children fall asleep they start heading to the Grand Elder, yeah she's pretty important, it was like they were trying to contact the dead when they tried to talk to her. Keep in mind that they only tried to talk to her, but it didn't work. Bowman being the smart and magical kid he is entered her thoughts, emotions, and memories and saw death, then after that the Grand Elder decided to talk to them. After telling them all they needed to know they she said they could leave with the mud people's love.

Back to the awesome things they're doing and not the sentimental things. Our favorite people are walking out into a desert with sand and dust and strange people and strange things, yeah it's a pretty normal desert. But then they see a wooden cart with sails, wheels, wood, a big metal sword  and it's all stuck in the sand. The more I read the book the more boring this part started to sound when all of a sudden the old children who have no life and try to pet you to death came back. Those kids are creepy, but anyway being the smart children they are they decide to not fight and give up because, let's face even though Mumpo is awesome, he doesn't stand a chance against old children. Luckily for our heroes one of those wagons with sails hit them and they were taken off into the sunset with the wind blowing in their face.

Kestrel, Bowman, and Mumpo were finally safe when, guess what, they got captured. This isn't even a surprise anymore, the number of times the thought they were safe and then ended up not being safe is insane. The only difference between the other times and this time is that this time they got captured by a war driven tribe, the Baraka, who live to fight. The Baraka had got the wrong idea about Kestrel, Mumpo, and Bowman because the Baraka thought they were spies of their mortal enemy, the Chaka. The Baraka currently had a peace treaty with the Chaka so they weren't allowed to hang them so they were thrown in a dungeon where Mumpo kindly asked the guard watching them to braid his hair. Yes, Mumpo is an amazing human being and should live because of his actions and thoughts. Anyway, I'm leaving it here, you'll have to figure out what they do with Kestrel, Bowman, and Mumpo later.

Hello, I am back and still writing terrible posts about a book and yes I understand you want them to stop but too bad because I'm going to keep making them. Last time I wrote I left everyone in a dungeon being accused of being a Chaka spy and about to get executed. Since the Baraka weren't allowed to publicly execute Kestrel, Bowman, and Mumpo because of a peace treaty they made with the Chaka to prevent any bloodshed. Being the smart people the Baraka are they came up with a way around it, they decide to tie them to a boat with multiple rotating knives and launch them out onto a war ground to fight with other boats with rotating knives. They had decided on this plan when they realized that they would not be killing them, the Chaka would since it would be the Chaka's boats that tore them to shreds. While the Baraka were making death arrangements Kestrel and friends decided that it might just be fun to ask them for poles so that they could defend themselves, and so they got poles. Until I decide to make one of these very terrible posts again we can the assumption that they're all going to die.

Guess what! I am making another terrible post where everyone is probably going to die! When We left off the were just about to be sent off on a warship to attack other warships, but they have poles to defend themselves. Our main characters were put on the last  warship of the last row just so they could see the damage that could be caused when the ships ram into each other. The war had started when the trumpets were blown, the mother ship had unleashed the first row of of warships to attack while the other side made a defensive play by sending out multiple ships to defend. The war was not with people, it was with machines, it stopped lives from being spent and innocents from dying. The ships were sent out at each other at amazing speeds, they rolled across the sand for they had wheels for land not water. The Baraka thought that the Chaka were out of ships so they played down the last of theirs, including the one with Kestrel, Mumpo, and Bowman. The Chaka had fooled the Baraka and so they played their last ships for defence and offence, it was a great plan but what they didn't see was the people on one of the boats. Kestrel, Mumpo, and Bowman steered the ship the were on into other ships and tipped them over the poles they had causing a victory for the Baraka.

Okay before I actually continue with all the story I've noticed that the author is mainly about going right back into something without taking time to actually describe what is going on around them like scenery. The fact that they didn't describe the scenery wasn't all that bad, but the author also didn't describe the characters he put in the story all that well. This book is great if you're looking for something to just because it's interesting but not so much if you're trying to make a visual.