Re: A Spark of Light, Jodi Picoult

Hugh phoned George and they began negotiating.  Hugh said that if he let out a hostage he wouldn’t call the SWAT team.  George was silent for a bit, but eventually agreed.  George looked at Izzy and told her to pick one.  She looked at Dr. Ward, then back at Bex.  Bex was losing too much blood and needed serious medical attention.  She choose Bex.  I think this is a good choice because if they waited much longer she would die, the others could die but didn’t have a high chance.  Izzy gently lifted Bex into a wheelchair and started to walk towards the door.  George threatened that if she didn’t come back he would start shooting, thankfully she rolled Bex outside then came right back in.

Hugh was the third police officer to arrive just seconds behind the first two.  He immediately began taking charge of the situation telling officers who had just arrived what to do.  His phone kept buzzing and he was getting annoyed but he couldn’t let it distract him.  Finally, he drew it out of his pocket and saw it was Wren spamming him with messages.  She was panicking because she was in the center and her Aunt Bex got shot.  The same center that Hugh just arrived at.  Hugh’s heart stopped.  This is a hyperbole because it’s exaggerating the fact that he was absolutely terrified.  If his heart actually stopped he would die.  Hugh debated whether or not to give up his mission, but he didn’t.  I think this is a very courageous thing to do because if he fails he’s putting his families life at risk.

Hugh was about to storm in when all of the sudden he was grabbed by the arm.  An officer spun him around so he was facing women with short cotton candy coloured hair.  Her mascara gave her raccoon eyes which indicated she was crying.  Rachel Greenbaum was her name.  She worked at the center but managed to escape, she was the one managed to call the police.  She was also the one who let George into the clinic.  If I was Rachel I would feel so bad for letting him in.  She didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary except for the fact that he was wearing a coat.  When he got in he walked up to the front desk and said, “What did you do to my baby,” and started shooting.  Rachel quickly ran out.  I feel really bad for Rachel because she thinks that she's the one to blame for all of this, which isn’t true.