Topic: Read Theory

Today I read the story "American Mystery" on Read Theory. This passage is about parts of the world that remain unexplained to this day. For example; stonehenge, the head statues on Easter Island, how the Egyptians built the pyramids.  It also talks about the Anasazi people, not much is know about them but one thing for sure is that they disappeared sometime around 1300 CE, and that they were replaced by the Puebloan tribes, such as the Zuni, the Taos, the Acoma, and the Hopi. The only thing left of the Anasazi is a series of houses carved into cliffs.

Re: Read Theory

Today I read "New Dog Friends" on Read Theory. This story was about a young man who had moved to a different town to go to college and how he had to leave his dog, and the building he was living in forbid dogs. He was very upset that he could not get a dog because he loves dogs, no matter the breed. I related to this because I have always really loved dogs and up until I turned 14 we could not get a dog because my dad wasn't home enough and my mom was allergic. Thankfully though we found a small hypoallergenic dog and we got her!

Today I read an informational story about the difference between alligators and crocodiles on read theory. Before reading this I thought that alligators and crocodiles were nearly close to the same things, but it turns out that they are not. The first difference is that most alligators live in freshwater marshes and lakes but crocodiles prefer saltwater marshes for a habitat. Crocodiles also have a pointy V-shaped snout, whereas alligators have a wide u-shaped snout. Alligators have more jaw strength then crocodiles and crocodiles are also a light shade of color and grow smaller than most alligators then alligators. One of the most common similarities among the two is that they are both highly dangerous if they make contact with a human!

Today I read an informational story on read theory called The Pilomotor Reflex or what most people call it, goosebumps. Goosebumps are created when tiny muscles beneath the hairs on your skin contract, pulling the hair into an upright position and creating temporary little bumps on your bodies. Goosebumps are something called an involuntary reflex which is something that your body does automatically without you even having to think about it. Most people experience goosebumps when they are scared, cold, or even because they are happy. I just found this out by reading this but sometimes my dog will chase my cat around the house my cats tail will get all poofed up, this is because they experience the pilomotor reflex too. Animals use the pilomotor reflex scare off their enemies, intimidate them, and also stay warm by trapping body heat closer to their skin. According to the story many scientists think that the pilomotor reflex is actually completely useless for humans and much more important to animals.