Re: All the Ever Afters By: Danielle Teller

Ella was a fussy baby who wasn’t a keen eater. Agnes struggled to make her eat any food, Agnes even began to worry about Ella’s health since she didn’t seem to be growing, but Ella usually didn’t cry which was a nice change from Charlotte, Matilda, and Catherine. One night, while Ella was with lady Alba Agnes, walked into the room they were in she saw lady Alba dangling Ella by her leg over the burning fireplace. Lady Alba was screaming that there was a demon inside Ella, Agnes swooped Ella up and made sure she was not injured. Lady Alba was never left alone with Ella again. I didn’t realize how crazy Lady Alba was who would do that to their child.

27 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2019-01-01 12:02:20)

During a function in town Agnes was able to sneak Ella out to go to since everyone was busy. To Agnes's surprise she ran into her brother and sister. Her brother looked about the same but the heavy amount of work seemed to age him. Agnes’s sister looked exhausted and did not act like the kind person she once knew. She was pregnant with her fifth baby, and looked as though the pregnancy was draining everything out of her. She said that she had just lost her second child to the river by their house. Agnes did not tell them about her losses because it would bring back emotions she did not want to feel. Agnes soon left their conversation after she realized how much they had grown apart and changed through the years. Agnes never spoke to her family again but always heard that they were doing well. If I were Agnes i would not have given up on my family so easily anytime I had off I would ask to meet them so we could catch up on all the things we missed in each others lives.

28 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-12-12 10:26:15)

Agnes was given permission to roam around the house with Ella most days but one day they ran into Emont when they entered the hall. Agnes was about to leave the hall until Emont surprising asked them to stay. Emont asked to hold and play with the baby so Agnes gave him Ella and she saw a different person in him then she had seen before. When he was with Ella he was a caring person with and funny personality, he forgot all his responsibilities and just focused on his daughter. Agnes asked Emont if he would like her to bring Ella to him every day around this time. Emont replied with a brilliant yes! Emont and Agnes became closer friends, so close Emont spoke openly about the manor finances and his wife. They even talked about Agnes's life as an alewife, and how she managed her business in Old Hillgate. I am very happy to see that Emont is a good father to Ella and doesn't seem to care that he didn't have a son as Fernan did.

29 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-12-12 10:38:45)

Emont became quite interested in the ways Agnes financially secured her business that he asked her to look over some of the business documents for the manor. He told her she could get the papers to form one of his advisors. Getting the papers was not as easy as Agnes had hoped, she asked the advisor for them and he said he would bring them to her in a few days. Two weeks had gone by and she still had not received the papers as promised. Agnes became fed up with the advisor and marched to his office to demand the papers. The man was shocked to see being so stern with him but reluctantly gave her the papers. It took Agnes almost three weeks to go through all the papers, between her short breaks, and nights. Agnes found quite a few errors in the manors business papers that could be fixed. When Agnes told Emont about what she had found he asked her if she would like to accompany him to the manor business meeting with the owners of different parts of the manor. He said she would tell them about what she had found since he didn't fully understand the whole business thing. I am very happy Agnes is able to use her smarts since at this time in the world women were not respected or known for being smart.

30 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-12-18 09:52:48)

The men in the meeting were surprisingly grateful for Agnes's advice on ways the manor could spend less, save more, and pay off their debts. Even though the meeting went well for Agnes Emont did not see her victory since he fell asleep during the meeting, the other men said it was a usual thing. After the meeting, Agnes continued to help Emont with the finances and take care of Ella. At the Age of three, Ella was already a beautiful smart girl with a kind personality. In the years between Ella turning three Lady Alba grew increasingly worse, she did not eat, bath, or leave her room. She had stayed in her room so long that it began to smell and no amount of rose water could cover it up. Emont summoned the priest to help Lady Alba in her time of need but she spit on him. In the days following the priests visit, Lady Alba committed suicide. Poor Ella witnessed the horrific scene and she hid from Agnes for the rest of the day. I felt so bad for Ella and she was so young to lose her mother.

Emont, Ella, and Agnes went to the Abbey for the funeral, it was a short ceremony but during the ceremony, all Agnes could think about was how close she was to Matilda and Charlotte. While taking Ella to the washroom Agnes saw Matilda and Charlotte walking out of the library in their grey dresses. Charlotte and Matilda both saw Agnes and came running toward her crying tears of joy. The nun in charge was outraged at the seen Charlotte and Matilda had caused. Agnes told the nun what was going on and the nun even agreed to let Matilda and Charlotte spend time with Agnes and Ella in the garden. Matilda and  Charlotte had both grow so tall in the 4 years they spent apart but they still had the same personality and love for one another. Ella, Matilda, and Charlotte ran around the pond and they played with frogs, Agnes had never been so happy. As night approached Agnes was sad to see her girls go back into the house since she knew it would be years until she saw them again. I have never gone years without seeing a loved one so I could never imagine the pain Agnes is feeling in her heart when she saw them leaving.

32 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-12-21 10:20:39)

When they got back to the manor Emont seemed to struggle to control his alcohol intake, he seemed very depressed (since he knew he would have to marry again) but never did he stray from Ella, he acted more kind and caring toward Ella than he ever had. This was a different side of Emont Agnes had seen but never really appreciated it until now when he comforted Ella. One day while Agnes was doing the manor paperwork with Emont she decided she would tell him her idea. Her idea was that they could get married since she already did the Lady of the manors job and Emont didn't like getting to know people. Emont was very surprised at this idea a said it was outrageous but he did not dismiss the idea and said he would think about it. Agnes agreed but a few days later she grew terribly sick, so sick she would not eat, she could not stand, and she could barely breathe or talk. The sickness lasted for almost two weeks and that entire time Agnes could see Emont sitting by her the entire time. When Agnes got better Emont said he could not live without her and he had realized this after he thought she was going to die, so the day Agnes felt she could stand again he proposed! I am so glad they are going to get married, I think they will be very happy together. This reminded me of when my grandma told me about when my parents were engaged, she knew they would be happy together.

The Abbess wasn't as pleased with the engagement as Agnes and Emont were, which is why Agnes pushed Emont to have the wedding sooner than later so there was no chance she could change his mind about the whole ordeal. Ella began to sob as soon as she found out about the engagement but became happy about it once they told her that she could design her own dress for the wedding. The wedding was very small (it consisted of Emont, Agnes, Ella, and Gisla, Ella's maid) but they all had a lovely time and Ella designed a beautiful blue silk gown to wear. After a week had passed Agnes finally felt like she was the lady of the manor, she spoke with the workers about what they did and how they could become more efficient, and continued to improve the manors financial stability. The Abbess stopped schooling Charlotte and Matilda after she found out about the engagement so they were coming to live with Agnes again since they had no place at the abbey anymore. What a wonderful gift for Agnes, it must feel amazing to know that you will get to see your children every day instead of every three to four years.

When the girls arrived, both of them ran to greet their mother with tears streaming down their face. It was a joyous occasion, they ate a great feast for supper and all the girls seemed to be getting along. Emont however did not have the most upbeat attitude when they arrived, he was drunk and he caused a fuss during dinner but Agnes could hardly be bothered by the seen. After dinner Ella showed them her room and even asked if they would like to sleep with her in her room, this was quite out of the ordinary for Ella since she was a very private so Agnes allowed it. The next morning was not so cheerful, the girls had got  into a fight because Ella had taken one of their trinkets Agnes had given them when they had first left. Agnes felt bad siding with her daughters on this situation but she knew Ella had to be punished for such actions. I don’t feel Agnes should feel bad about her decision what Ella did was wrong so she deserved to be punished.

As a few years went by the girls finally started to get along, most of the time. When they did fight, Ella was usually called a baby because she cried so much but no other names were shot out. Ella grew more beautiful each day and this caused some of the tension since Charlotte and Matilda were not the prettiest girls. One winter morning when Agnes went to find Emont she found his cold body laying on the floor of his chambers, he was dead. The news was crushing for Ella she cried for days because she had now lost both her parents. The funeral was short but many attended it which was a pleasure to see. The mourning phase seemed to last forever until they received an invitation inviting them to come to a royal ball. If Ella doesn’t lose her shoe at this ball I will be so disappointed because that is such an iconic part.

The girls were so excited to know that they would meet a royal, they worked hard preparing their dresses, hair, and finding shoes. Ella’s maid got Ella beautiful glass shoes that shimmered as the light hit them. When the day of the ball arrived everyone was up very early and running around the house with excitement. Matilda and Charlotte had to ride in a regular carriage but as a present from her godmother Ella was allowed to travel in royal carriage. Matilda and Charlotte didn’t mind since they were so grateful that they even got the chance to go. The ballroom was beautifully decorated with flowers and fabrics. Everyone got introduced as the entered the ballroom and everyone was in shock at Ella’s beauty. The prince also noticed Ella and began talking to her as soon as he had the chance. Their talking lead to dancing which lead to hem having a stroll outside. Agnes hadn’t seen Ella in such a long time so she grew frustrated and tired. As soon as she saw Ella she told her it was time to leave since they had already been there for most of the night. Ella refused but in the end came because she hurt her ankle when she tripped down the steps to the carriage her foot ankle hurt so bad she didn’t even realize she had lost her shoe. I am so happy Danielle Teller didn’t leave this part out, it wouldn’t be a version of Cinderella without her losing her shoe.

Unlike the Disney version of Cinderella the prince does not make every maiden in the land try on her shoe, instead it was quite easy, he just went to the Abbess and asked where he could find Ella. A few days after the ball Ella’s prince came riding to the Adviceford manor where he proposed to Ella. She agreed but she didn’t want to leave the manor and her family but Agnes said that they would get the first carriage to the castle as soon as they could. They had a beautiful wedding and Charlotte and Matilda even got to become Ella’s ladies in waiting.Agnes was also allowed to stay at the castle with her family. Even though Ella had a good life living with Agnes and her step sisters rumors about the family spread through the kingdom. The one rumor said that the prince used Ella’s glass slipper as a way to find her. He made every girl in the kingdom try it on. When he arrived at Ella’s house Charlotte and Matilda were so desperate to marry the prince they cut of parts of their feet to make their feet fit while Ella was locked in the attic. That rumor was based on the original story of Cinderella by, Charles Perrault.

Agnes ignored these rumors since she knew they were not true but when Ella’s first child arrived she realized what the rumors had caused. She and her daughters were not to be alone with the baby, they couldn’t hold him, or play with him. Agnes told her daughters about her realization and they all agreed they needed to talk to Ella about it. They asked if they could move somewhere where they couldn’t be discriminated against because of false accusations. Ella said they could live in the Rose house at the abbey, with the Abbess’s permission but Ella knew she would say yes since she was her Godmother. They loved living at the rose house, both girls  began to teach with the nuns and Agnes lived out the rest of her life there with her two daughters. I related the fact that Agnes and her daughters weren’t allowed to do things to social. We are reading articles on how people fought discrimination using the Charter of Rights. In this time women were not given the same opportunities as men so solving discrimination was much harder, they had an advantage since they were related to the royals.

I really enjoyed this book since I feel that it gave me a better understanding of what it was like and how women were treated in older times. This book had difficult parts to relate to since I am not a mother nor do I live in her time but when Agnes was a kid it was easier to relate to. I would recommend this book to my classmates because I liked it so much. I really hope Danielle Teller comes out with some more books since she is a fantastic author.