Topic: Matched by: Ally Condie

My third book that I will be making a book talk about is Matched, by Ally Condie. It is a Man versus society and man versus man. So far, in the book I have discovered that every girl and boy  who turns 17 every year,  on a certain month gets to be given a match. Match like a soulmate. I’ve also had bits of pieces about two of the three main character. Cassie and Xander, the two was childhood best friends. Cassie was a young, small, gorgeous lady, she had straight small nose, green eyes and copper-brown hair. She also had her birthday on the day of the Banquet. Xander was a handsome boy even when he was young, he had blue eyes, blonde hair and he was tall too. They were both to attend the Match Banquet. Match Banquet is an event that matches girls and boys together.

Re: Matched by: Ally Condie

As Xander and Cassia separated for their own seats, Cassia sat in her seat nervously. Cassia’s thought shifted her attention to a girl that she knew. Lea Abbey. As she observes Lea got called up, I noticed Cassia had lots of big word or poem like lines, like the ones I read in the first paragraph of the book. I also noticed that in the book Cassia said that her dad worked in a library. I just wanted to emphasis it, because it mind come in handy along the way on reading the book. She said things like, “It is strange how we hold on to the pieces of the past while we wait for our future.”

Cassia sat in her designated seat nervously, as she hears the announcer call up other girls to be partnered. Soon then her name was called, Cassia went up to the black screen; the screen that will show her future. The screen stays blank and black, empty. For a moment everybody was doubting. At this moment I was too, why was it taking that long? Could it be that this was the first time the Society had done something wrong? Errors occuring in the system? Or they weren’t sure who to partner up with Cassia?

After a couple more seconds, the head of the System Society went out from the back of the screen to Cassia. She greeted her and told everyone including Cassia that her matching was quite interesting, her match was in the room. Cassia was shocked just like everyone else in the room. Not knowing what to do, anxiously she waited for match name to be called out. This part sort of reminded me of Cassia’s observations about Lea Abbey. She was nervous and anxious just like her. It was then she understood why she acted that way.

The girl who claims to be, the head of the System smiled at Cassia. There was something she didn’t liked about it, she couldn’t point out what it was. “Your match is in this room,” she say. Everyone started whispering to one another, weird stares, some didn’t care, some was curious. “He’s name’s, Xander.” Both showed sophistication, but those who looked close, could see the shocked but happy in a way look. Perks came with it, being matched with your childhood best friend. The knew each other already and they were close too. I guess it does sound quite nice to be made matched with your friends, in a way they know you the most, and it won't be awkward too. Although in our world there could be break ups, that can affect your friendship after all, but in their world there was none of that. They were happily together forever, no break ups once you were matched. Simple.

As Xander’s name was called out, for him to come up the stage, they both received a small box. The small box contained informations about their partners. They were then both ushered to seat down. When Cassia went back to their table her parents welcomed her happily with their warm hugs, silently congratulating her. They were happy because they knew her match they didn’t have to give away their daughter to a stranger. Plus Cassia and Xander’s parents were close too, all the more joy. The parents didn’t have a choice when their children gets matched. This was weird for me because in our culture, some parents especially those who are stuck up in the traditions, has a lot of conditions for their children's partner for life. They got to choose for us, or atleast approve, not the children. In here tho the parents didn’t have a choice, but to let go their child's to a stranger.

The banquet was the over, everyone was dismissed, as the time was still going, moving closer to the curfew. They all had to go home. Cassia and Xander was then left alone by their parents, they rode the airtrain to go home, spending time with one another as couples and not just friends anymore. Xander’s arms was wrapped around her waist as they stand on the train. She looked on the boys face closely, she thought, she could never admire him like that ever before, but know she did. Same thought went to Xander, that he would have never touched her that way before too. I slowly begin to realise that in this book every one was to limit themselves into things they want, like and need. It was not allowed. While us her out in the real world, we do as we please. I thought is it good that we live at this state, freely given to do what we want, or rather instead be like these people who are treated crucially but benefits with somewhat content in life.

Finally the train came to its stop, dropping the newly couple off the station. As both head to Cassia’s house they took one last glance to each other before they go separate ways and bid goodbye. Xander’s house was just around the neighbourhood, this was one reason why their family knew one another and were close. The bond was then carried on to the next generation. Cassia’s mom came to Cassia’s room to remind her that her dress should be turned in by tomorrow, to the society. Apparently the society doesn’t make you keep things. You were to have enough, and never too much. As I was reading, I realise in this part that we get to keep things but we don’t value it, while other people out there who might have the same situation, they value things that we chose to just ignore.