Topic: The Railway Children by: E. Nesbit

I have just begun to read The Railway children by E. Nesbit. The short description in the back of the book really intrigued me and I'm excited to see how this book plays out! They were a family of five that lived in a big house with many servants, and rooms. The children's names were, Roberta, Peter, and Phyllis all of them between the ages of 12 and 7. They had two loving parents who spent lots of time reading and playing with them throughout the days. They were a richer family than most since their father had a job in the government, meaning he was away a lot. Their mother wrote poems and stories for them almost every day, she was very good at they all thought. After their father had just got back from one of his trip and they all were enjoying each others company two men came to the door and asked to see their father. their meeting was brief but the look on their fathers face showed that it was very serious. When the children's mother went to see what was the matter she also came out with a pale ghost like complexion. Only once have I ever seen someone have a ghost like complexion, it was when my younger brother almost fainted. After he had returned back to normal he explained that it had felt like his whole body was going numb.

Re: The Railway Children by: E. Nesbit

Their father left the house the next day, he had not even said goodbye. Their mother left for London in the following days to deal with something she never specified what but the children all knew it must be bad. The help whispered about the issue but never did they say a word to the children about no matter how much they asked. When their mother got back she told them they were going to move into a small cottage just on the outskirts of London. The children loved the idea and even thought that packing the boxes was fun! The train ride to the house seemed to take forever but the real journey was walking a mile to the house after getting off the train in pure darkness. I have never ridden on a train before but I would love to when I am older.

The house was a lot smaller than their old house but it was full of character. The children were all too tired to unpack so they went to bed in the clothes they had on. The next morning their mother was already working on her writing since this was how they were now going to make a living. Roberta said they should all help unpack everything for their mother since she was very busy. They made the house look very neat and full and to reward themselves for a job well done they decided to go to the train station. I wonder if their mother is going to shut the kids out since she is so busy with her work.

The railway became the place they went every day after they finished their chores. They began to name the trains they saw most days, their favorite, however, was the 9.15 train also known a the Green Dragon. Their mother was usually writing stories to publishers so they were allowed to visit the railway so she could have peace and quiet. Peter decided since they were poor now that he shall make them richer be doing some mining. There was a mine just past the railway so he left the house at night and went mining till he could no more, never did he think he was stealing. This went on for a few months and each month the houses coal supply grew little by little until one night. Phylis and Bobbie followed Peter to the mine where they saw him get grabbed by a man after entering the mine. It was the station master he had noticed his mine being depleted from day to day when his men hadn't been mining. How couldn't Peter have known he was stealing!