Topic: The Railway Children by: E. Nesbit

I have just begun to read The Railway children by E. Nesbit. The short description in the back of the book really intrigued me and I'm excited to see how this book plays out! They were a family of five that lived in a big house with many servants, and rooms. The children's names were, Roberta, Peter, and Phyllis all of them between the ages of 12 and 7. They had two loving parents who spent lots of time reading and playing with them throughout the days. They were a richer family than most since their father had a job in the government, meaning he was away a lot. Their mother wrote poems and stories for them almost every day, she was very good at they all thought. After their father had just got back from one of his trip and they all were enjoying each others company two men came to the door and asked to see their father. their meeting was brief but the look on their fathers face showed that it was very serious. When the children's mother went to see what was the matter she also came out with a pale ghost like complexion. Only once have I ever seen someone have a ghost like complexion, it was when my younger brother almost fainted. After he had returned back to normal he explained that it had felt like his whole body was going numb.

Re: The Railway Children by: E. Nesbit

Their father left the house the next day, he had not even said goodbye. Their mother left for London in the following days to deal with something she never specified what but the children all knew it must be bad. The help whispered about the issue but never did they say a word to the children about no matter how much they asked. When their mother got back she told them they were going to move into a small cottage just on the outskirts of London. The children loved the idea and even thought that packing the boxes was fun! The train ride to the house seemed to take forever but the real journey was walking a mile to the house after getting off the train in pure darkness. I have never ridden on a train before but I would love to when I am older.

The house was a lot smaller than their old house but it was full of character. The children were all too tired to unpack so they went to bed in the clothes they had on. The next morning their mother was already working on her writing since this was how they were now going to make a living. Roberta said they should all help unpack everything for their mother since she was very busy. They made the house look very neat and full and to reward themselves for a job well done they decided to go to the train station. I wonder if their mother is going to shut the kids out since she is so busy with her work.

The railway became the place they went every day after they finished their chores. They began to name the trains they saw most days, their favorite, however, was the 9.15 train also known a the Green Dragon. Their mother was usually writing stories to publishers so they were allowed to visit the railway so she could have peace and quiet. Peter decided since they were poor now that he shall make them richer be doing some mining. There was a mine just past the railway so he left the house at night and went mining till he could no more, never did he think he was stealing. This went on for a few months and each month the houses coal supply grew little by little until one night. Phylis and Bobbie followed Peter to the mine where they saw him get grabbed by a man after entering the mine. It was the station master he had noticed his mine being depleted from day to day when his men hadn't been mining. How couldn't Peter have known he was stealing!

The station master let Peter go but told him what he was doing was wrong and that he was never to do it again. In the later days when they visited the station, they became friends with the station master after apologizing again and having some well-rounded conversations. My grandparents are always talking about the people today and their social skills they say no one is as well rounded as they used to be. Not long after that whole incident, the children's mother grew very sick. She could not eat, or move around. SHe didn't want to call on the doctor because they would have no money to pay him so she stayed in bed and used Bobbie as her servant. Finally one day Bobbie was able to slip away and get the doctor because she knew her mother was getting worse every day. She told the doctor of their financial situation and he said that they could be in a special group where the visits and medicine would cost less. What a generous man, he is also poor and it will hard for him to afford to do this.

With the medicine provided by the doctor, their mother got better in a short amount of time. She got better just in time for Bobbie's 12th birthday. Peter and Phyllis had gathered flowers and made small presents for her. she did not feel any older or wiser she just felt like the same Bobbie she was when she was 11. The children went down to the train station for Bobbie's birthday and because they couldn't see or visit father they decided to wave to the passing train as a way for them to send their love to him. Surprisingly an older man waved back. He wore a white shirt, a black jacket, and a bowler hat. They went every day to the station just to wave a the mystery man who rode the train every day. What kind children, they wanted to send their love to their father by waving to a train, how wonderful.

The children became friends with almost everyone at the station, but they liked hanging out with an engineer named Albert Porte. He would answer all their questions about trains no matter how many they had. He enjoyed answering their numerous questions because never in his life had he met people with were so interested in trains and they were just kids. When Peter is older I could see him going into a profession that involved engineering and trains since he loves the station and he is very curious about how it all works. When I am older I would like to work in education because I love working with younger kids.

The children's mother would often go to London to deliver important letters to high up people. The kids were never allowed to go even though they begged. So one day after she had left the kids went exploring. They found a river with a bridge over top of it, it was quite a beautiful area, Peter believed he had even seen some fish so they decided to grab their fishing rods from the house so they could catch some fish for supper. When they got back to the river older boys from the town were there, they said that they couldn't fish there because it was their territory. Peter didn't care so he continued to throw in his line until the older boys began to throw mud and rocks at the children. They all hurried away but said that they would be back. What horrible boys how could they throw rocks and mud at them just because they were fishing!

9 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2019-01-30 10:06:51)

After coming home they found that they hadn't been hit too many times so they cleaned up the few stains and went down to the station to greet their mother. While they were there they saw that so many people were gathered around a strange man who was in pain and speaking another language. Bobbie pushed her self to the front so she could hear him better. She knew immediately that he was speaking French. With the few words Bobbie knew, she and the station master were able to bring him into the office. Bobbie insisted that they shouldn't do anything with him until her mother came because she could fluently speak French. Phyllis and Peter were not should how to help so that sat quietly and waited for mother. When their mother arrived and sat down with the man they talked for almost 20 minutes until their mother said he was going to stay with them.

Bobbie referred to herself as the second nurse, since their mother, of course, was the head nurse. The first night the man stayed Bobbie saw that her mother dressed him in her fathers newest pyjamas that had his name on them. This arose a lot of questions about their father. Why wouldn't he have taken his newest pyjamas while he was away? Is there a reason he couldn't take them? Was he hurt, or worse dead? She did not bring any of her questions to her mother as to not worry her. She also did not tell her siblings because she did want them to spiral out of control with their questions or scenarios. That would be a lot to keep in at such a young age, I know I would not be able to do it, I would burst.

The Russian told their mother about how he came to be in England and she relayed the story back to the three curious children. He was a wonderful author (their mother had read some of his books) but the last book he wrote the government didn't approve of the book. He was put on trial for writing such a book, he was sentenced to five years in prison. While he was in prison he heard that his wife and child had gone to England for safety. The only way he could get out of prison and escape to England was to volunteer to be a slave in Siberia. After a month in Siberia, he saw his chance to escape and he took it. I've watched many documentaries on slavery and it was absolutely horrible I couldn't image the pain he went through.

12 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2019-01-30 14:30:44)

His story horrified the children they could not believe anyone could be so cruel. To try and make the transition to a new country better for the Russian they brought him strawberries, blackberries, and buns from the garden and the market. He enjoyed all the little things they brought him. He liked to sit near the garden in the sun he did do anything in the sun except enjoy it and soak it in. They really enjoyed the man's company, he was someone new and challenging to talk to. Just before my mom graduated one of her friends went on a trip to Europe all by herself. She wanted to go alone so she could meet new people and be out of her comfort zone. She said that it was one of the best things she has ever done.

Their mother sent out many letters to people directly in England so she could help their guest find his family. Her letters did not find his family so the children thought they could ask the old gentlemen on the train to see if he could be of any help. Bobbie wrote the letter and Peter gave it to the station master to give to the old gentlemen. Not long after they had given him the letter he wrote back saying he had found the Russian's family! The Russian did not leave immediately because he wasn't completely healthy. When he was healthy he left as soon as he could. The children were sad to see their friend go but knew he and his family would be so happy to be together again.

14 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2019-02-06 21:02:50)

After the Russian left, their mother went back to writing her stories and they began to sell and be published more quickly than usual. Every time she sold a story they celebrated with fresh buns and tea. They had buns and tea quite often now so they felt so spoiled. I always feel spoiled on my birthday and at Christmas, I don't always feel I deserve the many gifts I'm given. I realize I shouldn't always feel this way but it is difficult to decide a way to feel when given gifts that you don't think you deserve.

They all missed the Russian so much that their mother decided to send them to the train station to cheer up because that usually did the trick. They hadn't been to the station in a few days now so right away they noticed the construction being done on the tracks. They decided to watch the train from the curve which was a few minutes walk from the station. As usual Peter checked his stop watch ( one of the last gifts his father had given him ) and saw the train which he could see was 5 minutes early. The train would bulldoze all the workers and materials. I wonder how the children will save the day.

They quickly devised a plan to tear up their red petticoats into pieces and hang them on sticks as to be flags that meant stop. They couldn't run to the station with this little amount of time so this was the only thing they could think would work. Bobbie prayed while waving the flag furiously in the air. Phyllis cried but still waved her flag as best she could. Peter put on a brave face and hoped to God that their plan would work. The train seem to be going extremely fast but it could have just been because they were standing so close to it. As soon as the last train car passed them they began to run back to the station, and to their amazement they saw the train slow down and stop just before it could touch a single construction item. The children rejoiced while still continuing to run t the station. What hero's, I'm so glad their plan worked! I don't believe I could have thought on my feet that fast.

Later in the week, the children were honoured for there bravery at a ceremony held at the station. They all wore their very best outfits for this occasion. Their mother was so proud of them, she couldn't believe what brave children she had. The station master proposed a toast and then all the people there wanted to hear Peter speak. He wasn't prepared for this but he gave it his best shot and the crowd cheered for his words. There were also delicious snacks at the ceremony, some looked too good to eat! I'm glad they were honoured for what they did, who knows how many people could have died if they hadn't thought on their feet so fast.

The news about the children saving the train settled down after a few weeks. The children were glad to be rid of the attention, they felt guilty with all the attention.
The one day while playing in the garden Peter accidentally fell on a rake that was right side up. He injured his ankle really bad. The doctor said he wasn't to put pressure on it because he would hurt it again if he did. Bobbie felt so bad for Peter so to cheer him up she went to gather some newspaper and books from Porte. After gathering the books and paper she noticed something very surprising on the front side of the paper. It read that Bobbies father was guilty of being a spy for the German government and was sentenced to 5 years in prison.

Bobbie was so confused to see this. Why had her mother hid this from her? Who framed him? He isn’t capable of being a spy, or was he? Millions of questions were rushing through Bobbie’s head she couldn’t believe it. She hid the paper in her pocket so she wouldn’t stress out her siblings. She went to her mother’s room and talked to her about the newspaper. Her mother said it she thought it would be best for her to cover it up. She even told Bobbie about those men who showed up the last day Bobbie saw her father. I wonder if Bobbie will write to the old man about this.

Bobbie did write to the old man about her father and asked if he could help. He wrote back sooner than she expected and was happy to see that he agreed to help. Bobbie knew it would take some time to prove her fathers innocence so she tried to distract herself from thinking about it as best she could. The one day Bobbie, Peter, and Phyllis went to watch the runners who go through the tunnel before the train comes. All the men wore the same grey outfit but there was one that wore a red outfit. The children went to the other side of the tunnel to watch them emerge from the tunnel. Everyone came out except the boy in red, the children waited a while just to see if he was going to come out but he never did. The next thing they knew they saw the train coming towards the tunnel. Peter said they needed to save the boy so they all ran into the tunnel to find him. They quickly found him in a room in the tunnel wall, he dragged himself there because he knew the train was coming and that he had broken his leg. Why did they choose to save him? They could have died. How are they such generous people at such a young age?

21 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2019-02-24 21:19:42)

It seemed to take the train forever to pass through the tunnel or maybe it just felt like it because the sound that was coming at the children and the boy was so powerful it stopped their inner clock? After the train finally passed Peter and Phyllis went to get help and Bobbie stay with the boy, Jim. He was a few years older than Bobbie, She could tell he was in a tremendous amount of pain so she tried to calm him down as best she could. Jim said that he only had a grandfather around these parts so he wasn't sure where he was going to stay. Bobbie thought a moment and then it hit her, he could stay with them. The Russian was gone and they had been so generous to him why couldn't they do the same for Jim?

Peter and Phyllis ran as fast as they could to the main area  where the men were working and explain entire situation. They then went to their house to fetch their mother to see if she could be any help and on their way back they ran into the doctor, so  of coarse they also got him to come. The doctor did say the leg was indeed broken, but thankfully Bobbie convinced her mother to allow Jim to stay with them if the grandfather couldn't. Their mother wrote the grandfather as soon as they got Jim settled. The grandfather wrote back saying he couldn't take Jim but he would come over and arrange something for them because of their hospitality. I wonder if the grandfather is none other than the old gentlemen.

It was the old gentlemen! He talked to the children's mother about and arrangement he felt was suitable and she agreed right away. The agreement was that she would become Jim's full time nurse, since she couldn't write her stories to bring in money the old gentlemen would pay her for looking after Jim. the Children were all excited to hear Jim was going to stay with them, they had already become so attached. One of our family friends fostered a puppy for a few weeks and they said they wouldn't get attached, but they did and eventually they bought the puppy even though they said they would never want a dog.

As the old gentlemen was leaving he asked Bobbie if she walk him down to the train station. She agreed and as they walked he said that he thought he had found enough evidence to prove her fathers innocence, but it would still take a little more time for it to go through the courts and what not. Bobbie couldn't speak, she was so happy her dad might finally come home. Bobbie skipped all the way home, but hid her excitement as she entered the house so not to disturb the sleeping Jim. How wonderful, in the story I hope it goes into depth about what the crime was and who actually committed it.

Jim was a pleasure to have at the house, he was a very creative storyteller. He told the kids funny stories, mysterious stories and the occasional sad one too. My aunts are all really good storytellers, I'm usually laughing so hard my stomach hurts. Bobbie hadn't heard anything from the old gentlemen in a few weeks now but she didn't worry, she was 100% certain she would get her dad back. I couldn't imagine not seeing or talking to my dad in almost a year, how horrible this must be for them.