1 (edited by amelie.despins 2018-12-12 22:14:04)

Topic: Lightfinder by: Aaron Paquette

I just started the book light finder and already so many things are happening. So far the book is about this girl named Aisling and she’s a young Cree girl that’s 16, and she just moved in with her dad in Fort Mac. She had to leave her brother at her mom's house, and her mom is a drunk now that’s why the dad left her. In the book, it keeps saying that her Kokum is gone but it never said she died so I’m a little suspicious. Her younger brother that’s 12 and named Eric is being bullied and is mad that Aisling left him with their mother. Eric is small and skinny so Tommy and his friends would pick on him.  I was really mad at their mom because when Eric came home with a black eye she didn’t even care she just stayed outside drinking. Then it was back to Aisling and it was her first day of school, the book starts it off where she went to her music class and she had to say in front of the whole class. First, she was really scared and nervous (I mean I wouldn’t even think about singing in front of people by myself) and when she opened her mouth her throat tightened and her voice cracked. I felt so bad for her, but then she saw this guy that gave her a peace sign and made her laugh. She started singing and it was really good (why do all stories have to always about a girl liking a guy, why can’t it just be about the storyline).  Then Aisling sat down looked at the sheet music then all of a sudden she fell unconscious.

2 (edited by amelie.despins 2018-12-14 10:03:18)

Re: Lightfinder by: Aaron Paquette

Next thing that happens is that Eric met someone named Cor, Cor was in grade 9 but actually seemed to like Eric. I was really happy for Eric that he might have a possible friend, even though I barely know his character I still feel for him. Cor sits on the bus with Eric and jokes around with him, I really thought that Cor was going to be a really good influence on Eric. Cor even gave Eric his phone (Cor’s dad is really rich) and Cor really didn’t care too much about it. But Eric got beat up by Tommy and his friends. Tommy stole Eric’s new phone and at the end of the day Eric was being followed by Tommy and then he started running when he fell Tommy was about to punch him when Eric hit him with a rock that Cor had given him. I mean Cor is okay but I thought he would help Eric not get him in trouble. Eric ran to the busses and just brushed the incident off. The book has a chapter for each child, it’s back and forth for Eric and Aisling, so that's why I didn’t write about Aisling yet. Aisling woke up in the hospital and so much stuff was happening around her. Jake was there (the guy that made her laugh), she felt safer but then a lady came by and a nurse to take Aisling blood (just recently I got my blood taken for the first time. A lot of people would be really scared about it, Even I was scared it might actually hurt but it was just like a normal needle),the lady then asked her, her information. Aisling went back to her room when all of the sudden her music teacher came in the room and said very seriously that Aislings father had just died! I was really confused because we barely got to know the dad character but I guess the author didn’t want me to. Aislings head was spinning she was so numb she was in shock.

Eric went got home and was shook when he saw his mother at the kitchen table crying, he knew she was sober because her eyes were just red from crying and he knew his mom, but she then told him that his dad died. Eric was really angry and sad and had all these emotions he just picked up his backpack and left. I mean at the back of the book it says that Aisling and her Kokum are looking for Eric because he ran away but I don’t know why he ran because in the book it doesn’t really say that Eric had a great relationship with his dad. Eric was walking and just before it went dark he found a gas station where he saw Cor. Cor said that he would run away with Eric, kind of like helping him. Cor left to go get supplies but just before he came back Eric was about to back. I honestly thought that Cor would be a good influence on Eric but I guess not. Cor came back with a whole bunch of supplies. Cor and Eric decided they were definitely going. While they were walking Cor and Eric were talking, Cor brought up why Eric was running away. Cor thought Eric ran away because he hit Tommy with a rock and now he is in a comma holding on by a thread. Eric was so bewildered and confused, Eric said that wasn’t the reason but now he was really scared.

Jake was driving Aisling to her mother's house and Aisling just slept, everything was just too much for her. When they got to her house Aisling and Jake were welcomed in by Aislings auntie. Aisling kind of abandoned Jake and went to her room. After a couple of minutes, Jake opened her door and said that her Kokum was here. Aisling totally forgot about how her mother would feel so she went upstairs with her kokum to see her mother. I feel bad for the mom, I mean her ex-husband died but still, she couldn’t even keep track of her son. She failed to talk about all day but when Kokum and Aisling came to her bedside she told them that Eric had left last night! I was so mad, that she didn’t do anything all day and night. Kokum knew that she had to find Eric. Aisling decided to go too. Kokum brought an Australia man back with her, he was about 18 and he decided to go as well. Jake wanted to come (what else would he do). Right before they left Aisling was getting too emotional that she left to go to her room. Her auntie came into her room and comforted her, but then her auntie told Aisling something very serious, that the world was going to end soon!

Since it had been a few days Eric and Cor knew how to get rabbits and squirrels by traps that Cor made. It was getting cold and Eric knew. They decided to follow a road and then they found a convenient gas station store. They got some new the gear and added stuff to their packs. When they were ready to leave the police stopped them. I was so happy, I thought finally Eric will go home it of course not. Instead, he hit him in the head with his rock that Cor gave him. I was so shocked, and I didn’t think Eric would do something that bad! They then carried the body to a bush. The police were breathing still but I don’t think he made it through the night. Eric and Cor went in the car and drove it in the woods. I couldn’t believe that happened, Eric couldn’t believe it either he then knew then that he couldn’t go back.
He assaulted a policeman!

Aisling her kokum and her auntie walked out of the house to meet the others. I was a bit confused because Aisling didn’t ask questions about the world ending right away. The Australian man did a weird dance or something around in circles then he knew exactly where Eric was. Aisling was not buying it but she followed along. After they had been walking do awhile they stopped to take a break. Jake and Matari left to go back to get supplies. Auntie, Aisling and Kokum sat down by the fire and Kokum began telling Aisling the story that would answer all her questions. She started saying that all the planets were once beautiful and full of life but then something came from the darkness called raven. Raven ate the light from inside the plants turning the moon empty and colourless, she then went on saying that the earth grew despite this and the Raven left but once humans were in the planet their songs of light made Raven come back the steal all of it. Obviously, Kokum told it so much better but I’m just giving a brief explanation since this is an important part. Then Kokum told Aisling that Aisling had a power and was special. She told Aisling to close her eyes and Aisling saw beautiful fragments of light and Kokum told her it was Mother Nature. Kokum also told Aisling that Eric was in danger and was in the claws of the Raven.

Eric was thinking about how he just threw the policeman in the bush and left him to die. He felt bad and did what most kids on the reserve would do if they were getting abused, he took the super glue put some in a  paper bag and breathed it in. He fell back unable to move and dreamed about a raven. He jolted awake and his nose was bleeding, he sifted through his drawings until he got to Cor but instead was a drawing of a raven. I would be so afraid I wouldn’t go out of my tent. But Eric did and he looked in Cor’s tent but nobody was in there.
Eric looked up and saw a giant Raven up above in the trees. 
The raven flew down and turned into Cor, the boy then said that it took Eric long enough to find out.  I knew that could be a possibility but I would be running away I wouldn’t be getting ready to fight it. The Raven said that he had to kill Eric now, I didn't really understand why. Eric grabbed his rock and then was digging in the soil, all of a sudden there was this light flowing into him that made him powerful. Right, when the Raven was about to get him Eric slammed his rock against it and there was this big light explosion between the two of them. I was so scared for Eric but he just did that, I thought that mother nature was giving him powers but in reality, he took some of her light! Cor was on the ground with a huge gash across his face, Eric decided he would heal him. Eric dug his hand in the soil and this time he got light but not that much since he wasn’t holding the stone.
Cor had this huge gash across his face and now he just had one eye. Cor also said something about his father was going to kill him, I was really confused who his father was maybe his father was Raven, but Cor turned into a raven, maybe his father can turn into an even bigger raven

Aisling, Matari, Kokum, Jake and her auntie all were walking the whole day. They finally set camp and Kokum and auntie were so tired they went to bed right away. Matari, Aisling and Jake sat up by the campfire and Matari answered Aisling’s question of how he and her Kokum met. He said that her Kokum came when he and his family were having a tradition that they did every year, and how she came and told them about the raven, Matari decided to help her since he had the strongest connection to the light from all his family.
Aisling went to bed and dreamed of Mother nature, it was crazy and apparently, she has had these dreams for a while and to me, that would be so cool.
She dreamed that mother nature was a huge turtle and that taught Aisling how to swim. She then told Aisling that she would bless her, she touched Aisling's head and Aisling then fell into a deep sleep. She woke up and made breakfast for the whole gang. When she was almost done her Kokum and auntie got up from the smell of food and they were so shocked by Aisling. I was wondering what was so shocking but then they said that Aisling had bright white hair from her temples down, the rest of her hair was still black. Aisling’s Kokum said that Aisling was blessed by mother nature.

Eric was shocked and scared of what happened but continued to feed the rock his blood, he knew that the rock only was powerful if he fed it blood. Cor was always very skeptical and while Eric was sleeping (even though he was supposed to be watching Cor) Cor left. Eric wasn't surprised after he had healed Cor, he could see him in his mind wherever he was. Eric chased Cor and caught up to very quickly (almost too quickly). Cor went back to the camp reluctantly. He ran away again but instead of chasing him, Eric sat down imagined Cor and saw the little light ribbons coming from the place where he healed him. He simply tugged the light and hears a distant ow! Coming from the distant. Cor came back and told Eric that he was giving him a free pass because Cor's father (the raven I'm guessing) is planning to use Eric for something. Eric was questioning Cor and, asked him why. Cor didn't tell him, he only told him that he was supposed to bring him back as a friend who trusted him, but that was gone. For me, that didn't make sense because Cor was the one who revealed himself to Eric. The glue helped Eric see but Cor just clarified it by attacking Eric. For some reason Eric thought he was more powerful then the raven, he wanted revenge.

Aisling and her friend/family took short breaks but always kept up, Aisling felt violated but during the walk she realized that her ancestors were very strong and she was depressed over small things.
Aislings auntie (Martha) said that something was wrong, Matari took that into consideration, but the group kept on walking. Jake and Aisling were walking when she noticed a lot of birds by a tree, too many birds. Then all of a sudden the birds started flying towards them. Everyone started running but the birds were faster, they were scathing and pecking them, when Kokum saw a great big giant made of sticks, it was alive. Kokum yelled at it and said that it had no business here.

The giant man made out of sticks was not supposed to be there, they were supposed to live in the mountains because Kokum said that they were supposed to live there but then the giant stick boy said that our people drove them out.
Aisling saw a bear, Kokum and Martha said that the bear was her dad but he just came back in a different form. Aisling kissed matari and she was mad at Jake. A raven also pecked her calf so she had a cut on her calf.

Eric made cor go with him to the mountains. Eric kept hearing a baby crying in the distance, he finally found the source and he followed it into the woods and he was digging because he thought that the baby was buried. And then he kept digging so much that it was up to his shoulders and then fell in a hole and he came out on the other side and I was like a different world. He was a fox but he didn’t realize until he walked up to another fox that was a lady fox and she attacked him first and was going to kill him but then this man with the head of a wolf said that the girl fox had to protect Eric and make sure that he wouldn’t go through with his plan to meet the raven and if he did that the girl fox was allowed to kill him.  I think it’s pretty crazy because some money things are happening and I know this is a fiction book but like it’s so crazy like so many legends for the Cree people are like coming to life in the story and I think that is pretty cool but also a lot.

Skia and Eric were trying to dig because that’s how Eric got into the other world. When they got to the other side Skia was human and so was Eric, it was snowing so they were really cold in they almost died because the didn’t have any clothes one since they were just animals. Skia dug a hole in the ground and Eric and her layed in it, then Cor came and he saw that Skia and Eric were laying next to each other he gave them blankets and they had something to drink, so basically without Cor, they would be dead. Skia was mortified with being a human, she hated it and she was still very aggressive towards Eric but more so towards Cor. Skia and Cor were fighting, Skia was clawing at Cor and Cor was trying to get her off of him and they were yelling at each other back-and-forth, so then Eric tried to stop them but he wasn’t loud enough and they just ignored him so he took out his bloodstone and he cut a really deep cut on himself and he made his powers shoot above them. He looked really strong and it stopped them right away.

Aisling fainted and she was getting really hot and felt terrible, I was wondering what was going to happen to her. Finally, she woke up but she was in a dessert. She heard Matari’s voice and then she saw him walking towards her. He told her that she was very sick and injured very badly, Aisling asked for water and Matari was confused because what he was seeing that they were surrounded by water but Aisling just saw sand. Matari kissed her to comfort Her. For some reason Matari was trying to go somewhere really fast with Aisling, he said that they were going to this old man's house to try to help her get healed. When they got to the old man's house it was now a matter of urgency and the old man told Aisling that to heal her she would have to be in both worlds (the dream worlds and the real world). In the book right now Aisling is int eh dream world and is about to be in both somehow, this book gets pretty complicated sometimes just the concepts that we are just supposed to follow along.

Skia, Cor and Eric are all going to Banff to fo meet Cor’s father. This part kind of confuses me because Skia’s job was to keep Eric away from the Raven but she’s not doing anything to prevent them from going to the mountains. All of them go to a store before reaching Banff to get Skia some clothes. The next day they get to Banff and walk around looking at all the stores. Skia gets excited and is happy to look around except for when she sees fur shops and anything to do with killing animals. Cor got someone from the front desk to get them a room. It’s crazy though because he paid the guy 4000$ for letting them stay a night! The guy gets them a room but makes sure that nobody knows about it. Cor got them a big suite but it only had one bed. Eric knew he was falling in love with Skia.

16 (edited by amelie.despins 2019-01-13 15:49:11)

After Aisling was healed she had a wooden leg with her flesh. She was back in the real world but her and Matari when into a tent and Matari told her to go to the dream world with him. Aisling tried but instead, she was talking to a spirit who controlled the lightning. The spirit told her that she was far from her brother and that he was alive but about to be at the secret gates where the raven was in the Banff mountains it was called the sleeping Buffalo mountain. Aisling was even shocked that her brother was alive, she asked the spirit how to get in and where to find it but the spirit just said that she had to find it herself. I would be happy to hear that my brother was alive, but also wondering why he would want to go see the Raven ( basically the root of all evil).

17 (edited by amelie.despins 2019-01-14 10:28:04)

Eric, Skia and Cor got to their room and that night Cor went out to date. Eric and Skia ordered any food they wanted off the hotel menu. The next day they began walking towards the mountains. They crossed the road and went into a forest they crossed through the forest and on the other side was a valley. They walked up to the valley and Cor opened up a gate. He told them to hold hands because they could be torn apart. They jumped in and went to a whole different area. They were new at turtle mountains and they got a taxi to bring them to the mountain that Cor told them was the place. They were hiking up the mountain and since it was snowy and the wind was bad they were terribly cold. They got to the mountain and Cor told Eric that he had to find a way in. Eric held to the stone and in minutes he was melting the snow. He got to the rock and broke through, they all dropped into the mountain. It kind of feels unrealistic obviously but Eric had never hiked a hardcore mountain so I feel like he would fall.

Aisling was walking back to the camp when all of a sudden Jake walked over to her and said that he was finally tired of it then he turned into a Raven he was pecking at her and then her father came over to try to help her by attacking it, walking man (The giant made of sticks) also came over to help, sadly both of them died and Aisling was left alone to deal with the monster that killed her father. The raven turned back into Jake and told Aisling that she could do nothing and that she would die. Aisling then closed her eyes and vines came from the ground they wrapped around jake and then they put him in a tree. Jake told Aisling that he cast a spell that he and matari are connected so if he died so would Matari, so then Aisling put him in a tree where he would live until the tree died. I personally still cannot believe that so much happened in just a few pages, like her dad died came back to life then died again. I feel so bad for her. She went back to camp and it was the morning so she was getting breakfast ready. Her auntie came out of the tenet and was shocked because Aisling was still bleeding from Jake. Aisling told her about the whole thing and that she needed her help to bury her father, Aislings kokum overheard everything.

Eric, Skia and Cor fell into the mountain and right away saw a staircase that would lead them deeper in the mountain, the staircase was steep but was the same all the way down. Eric almost fell because it was like he was sleeping and if you fall you will definitely die.
When they stepped off the last step they were all tired and sweating but Eric was in a trance and started walking towards whispers. Cor stopped him before anything bad happened, Cor leads them to a big door and said that is where his father was. Eric almost ran away with Skia, Skia was pleading him not to go in but Eric opened the door and stepped in.
I would be so scared and afraid, also it doesn’t make sense because Skia’s job was to make sure Eric didn’t go see the raven but waits till the last moment to plead! That does not make sense at all!

20 (edited by amelie.despins 2019-01-18 10:28:34)

Aisling her Kokum and Martha all went into a sleep dream where they could transfer into the dream world and have actual real-life bodies. Aisling was flying through the sky and she noticed a mountain and laned there, she was afraid because she had feathers and was a bird. She looked over and saw that her Kokum was a fox and so was her Auntie. Kokum was limping since she only had 3 legs. They entered the same rock Eric, Skia and Cor did, when they entered there was a war going around them. Aisling saw a man with the head of a frog. They had to get to the entrance and were trying to without getting killed. They got to the entrance of the cave and Aisling was walking behind the man with a Coyote head, she threatened him because he said that he should’ve killed her brother.

21 (edited by amelie.despins 2019-01-23 10:04:57)

Eric entered a room and there was nothing in it except a man in a desk, he walked up to it and was ready to do something when the raven sounded happy that he was there, he was nice and come. But when the raven looked at Cor it was angry because Cor was supposed to lead Eric to him corrupted or dead. The raven slapped Cor across the face and instead of a red mark, there were three gauges in his face. I would be so afraid I would just try to run, when I’m afraid and running I get asthma attacks so I would for sure die. Suddenly Eric heard his Kokum and Aisling singing. The raven tried to send a black cloud towards them but the singing blocked it. Kokum, Aisling and his auntie walked in the room. Aisling tried to run to Eric but was blocked because he auntie tried to make her stop, the raven shot something towards Aisling but her Auntie pushed her out of the way.
Eric knew that the Raven wanted her power to see the light so he then told the raven that he could see the light also.
The raven asked Eric to join him but Skia walked up to Eric and stabbed him in his chest, she ripped out his heart and Eric fell the ground. I was so shocked and confused about why this was happening. Eric drew the rock close to him and put it on his chest. He stood up and joined side with the raven, in his head he was planning to kill him but now I don’t know what to think.

22 (edited by amelie.despins 2019-01-23 10:18:04)

I just finished the book but it's still very confusing. Eric was laughing this evil laugh and then he turned into this big black tornado sucking in everything and Kokum gave herself up, she let eric suck her in and her spirit left her body and went into his. Aisling closed her eyes and saw that Eric was sucking in all the light but Kokums light was inside him and white while the others were turning black while surrounding him. Aisling reached down to the ends of the earth for some light to conserve it. Eric then collapsed and Martha Skia and Aisling held hands to travel to the dream world where it would be safer. When they arrived everyone was in their forms but Eric was also there, I was so confused but since Skia cut out his heart he could live in the dream world only but he still would be alive. Before Kokum died she told Aisling to do what she was doing, to travel the world and tell people how they could help save the world.
Matari came back and in form of an eagle. He and Aisling would help mother earth together. It's really creepy because at the end of the book there one page left and I think it's talking about Eric. It said that he still hungered but it never said any names. I feel like it maybe is the Eric in the real world who is buried in the mountain.

This book is special to me because it was given to me by the Queen's representative when I went to Edmonton with my class. My whole class got to meet her and she gave us this book and a bunch of other cool items.
The author of this book it Canadian and lives in Edmonton. I think she gave us this book because it maybe shows us a little bit about the Cree culture and it's something near to us.