Topic: The geography of You and Me by:Jennifer E Smith

Lucy is 16-years-old and lives on the twenty-fourth floor of an apartment building in New York City, Lucy has lived in the building for her whole life with he bothers who were twins and two years older than her but had recently moved away to university. Once her brothers left it was just Lucy and her parent but her parents travelled around a lot and left her at home alone for weeks at a time. During the summer there was a change in the building she lived in, there was a and boy names Owen who lived in the basement with his father who is the new manager of the building. Lucy had only seen the boy and never talked to him before but got to when they were stuck inside an elevator between two floors after a city-wide blackout. They told each other things about themselves and kept talking until one of the building security people opened the elevator and saved them from the stuffy air of the elevator. Once they were saved from the elevator they headed back to there apartments but Owen ran up 3 flights of stairs to get to Lucy because she offered him a flashlight and he decided he wanted it last minute. Imagine being in a city-wide blackout today people would be going crazy if their phones died and they had no T.V!

Re: The geography of You and Me by:Jennifer E Smith

At the apartment, Owen and Lucy gathered their supplies and then decided they needed to go out and get more and maybe some ice cream too. They made their way through the hallway on the 24floor noticing that no one else was moving, as they entered the stairs they could feel the humidity coming at them. As they exited the staircase they noticed that it was just as hot and humid and headed outside, they exited the building and saw the most beautiful view the moon was shining bright and the stars were able to be seen. There were thousands of people walking the streets in large crowds heading to bars and convenience stores to get supplies and find something cold. I feel if it was in the summer you wouldn't be able to escape the heat but in winter you wouldn't be able to escape the cold but you would be able to layer up so in my mind winter would be better.

Owen and Lucy walked down the street and found a convenience store and entered, they grabbed the last to bottles of water, some batteries, and some snacks and went to pay to realize they did not have enough money but luckily they had a blackout discount and headed to the ice cream shop that was supposed to be giving out free ice cream. After they had their free ice cream they headed back to the apartments and went to Lucy's apartment, they were so hot they just laid on the floor on the cold tiles that weren't cold for very long. Owen then grabbed a key from his pocket that opens the door to the top of the roof and asked Lucy if she wanted to go, she said "yes" and they headed to the staircase. They were on the 24floor already but it was a 45 story building and by the time they were going up the final steps they were dragging themselves along the railing and panting like they had run a marathon. I could never imagine going up so many flights of stairs because it would be a lot of work and your calves would be burning it doesn't exactly sound like the kind of thing I would want to do if it was really hot outside and in the building.

4 (edited by mia.westergaard Today 10:00:20)

When they arrived at the top of the stairs at the door Owen tried to open it because sometimes they left it unlocked but this time it was locked thank goodness they had keys! As the door opened they could feel the cool breeze hitting their faces and they walked over to the ledge and looked over the city, Lucy thought it was the most beautiful thing ever and Owen kind of agreed but said it was just because it felt like they were a million miles away from the city even though it was right there. They set out the blanket they had brought with them and took out the snacks which consisted of cookies, crackers, and granola bars and of course the drink with was water. Once they had finished eating they brought the blanket to the edge so they could lean up against the side of the wall and looked up at the sky, their hands folded in their laps and their shoulders almost touching, it was crazy and beautiful. I would never be able to climb to the roof of a 45 story building and look over the edge, it just doesn't sound piece full.

Lucy and Owen talked for a while and then Owen peacefully rested his eyes and began to sleep. Lucy had no idea so she kept talking for a couple minutes and then looked over and Owen and smiled, laying her head on the ground curled up into a ball allowed her to slowly sink into a deep sleep. With the sun beaming down on her face she slowly rose to notice Owen was gone and all that was left of him with the body imprint of him in the blankets. Lucy went back to her apartment and looked at the fridge, all of the postcards from the places she never went but her parents did and then remembered the first time they left her and her brothers alone. Lucy's brother Charlie asked her brother Ben what to do first, Bens response was to eat breakfast and Charlie agreed so the grabbed a frozen pizza from the fridge and cooked it. Every time their parents went on vacation they ate pizza for breakfast making it a tradition. Lucy opened the freezer letting out the last bits of cold and grabbed a pizza, but was so hot she decided to have a nap instead. Her first day of school was supposed to start that day but she figured that it would be postponed because there was no power so instead of grabbing her plaid shirt and white blouse she grabbed shorts and a tank top. Being trapped in the middle of summer in the heat with no air conditioning would be horrible, but eating a pizza for breakfast doesn't sound that bad.

As Lucy exited the building she looked for Owen and when she came back from her walk she looked for Owen but there was no sign of him anywhere. She walked up the staircase going to her apartment and when she entered she went right to the lay on the floor and imagined Owen was laying next to her and she fell asleep with her head nearly touching the imprint left by Owen the other day. When she woke up she got a hello from the lights and the fan on the roof spinning and the clocks and the microwave and Owen blinking. Lucy didn't know what time it really was but she ran to every room greeting every appliance and if it was a friend she hadn't seen in a while. The next day she headed to school and once again looked for Owen in the morning and that day after school and headed back to the apartment trying not to look sad or feel sad. When she was home she got a call from someone but she didn't know who all she knew was that they were not from New York because there were too many digits in the number, when she picked up she got a greeting from her parents and then told her that they missed her so much and then her father said "I've talked to the airline and we have a flight booked for you to come to London on Friday". Lucy was shocked but this discovery but was very excited as well. If my parents called me when they were on vacation and told me I was going to I would be so excited and would not question it that's for sure.