Re: The Railway Children by: E. Nesbit

As a present for Jim, the children decided to give him a wonderful supper. They were going to catch fish from the river (even though it was those older boys territory) and fry them on the stove. They had been fishing for almost an hour and caught nothing. They weren't going to give up since they knew they wanted to give Jim a present. As they fish Peter saw a fishing boat coming down the river. when it came close to the children the captain began to yell at them saying this was his fishing area. His wife, child, and the dog came out of the small building which calmed him down so he wasn't yelling as bad. Peter refused to leave so the children hid in the bushes so they could go back to fishing after the captain and his wife went into town. It didn't take long for them to anchor the boat and set up some type of bridge that allowed them the cross over the side of the river and onto land without getting wet. As the crossed the bridge Peter heard them say that they were going to the pub, so he knew they would be gone for some time.

After the kids had got settled fishing again they began to smell smoke. they soon realized it was coming from the boat. The first thing that popped up in the children's mind was the child. He was in there, they knew they had to do something. without a moment to lose Peter rushed into the boat. It was so filled with smoke he could barely see anything. Bobbie quickly ran after him after telling Phyllis to run to the pub and get the captain and his wife. What a horrible turn of events. When my dad was still in school his house burned down, not completely but most of it was gone. My grandma said she felt as if she had been punched in the stomach.

Bobbie could only see a faint outline of Peter through the smoke but she wasn't worried so much about Peter as she was the child. Bobbie soon found herself face to face with the captain's dog, it was chained to the floorboards. She quickly unchained the dog and ran it outside. As she was running out of the boat she heard Peter scream that he found the child. Peter cradled the child close to his chest so to keep it from breathing in the smoke. Peter, Bobbie, the baby, and the dog all got out safe. I'm glad everyone got out safe but I hope Phyllis gets back soon with the parents.

Phyllis ran as fast as her legs could carry her, never stopping for a breath. When she reached the pub she had to dodge through the crowd of drunken men surrounding the entrance. When she got through and was inside she froze. She couldn't make out any words until she finally got the courage to speak over the large crowd. She yelled at the top of her lungs, "Where is the Captain and his Wife, their boat is on fire." With that the pub was silent and everyone sat down, Phyllis could see the captain and his wife. They stood up because they recognized Phyllis. Phyllis said there was no time to lose and ran out the door the captain and his wife rushed after her. the only time I'm too scared to speak is when I'm at family reunions with part of the family that I don't know.

30 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2019-02-27 21:01:03)

When the parents and Phyllis finally arrived at the boat, everyone was out and safe which was a big relief for everyone. Soon more people and the fire department came to put out the fire. Luckily, after the fire was put out and it was safe to go in the damage done wasn't as bad as anyone had thought. The captain and his wife gave the children a very gracious thanks for all that they did for their family. They even said that the time they came to this part of England they would take them on a boat ride. The children were so tried when they left, when they got home they ate supper and went straight to bed. My parents did the same thing after coming home from shingling houses in +30 heat.

The next week the Captain and his wife came back to Three Houses (where the children live) with their newly fixed boat. They were so excited to go on the boat, it was their fist time. Phyllis enjoyed the ride the most, seeing the different houses, animals, and the fish were what she enjoyed the most. I've only went fishing once and it was really fun but if your not catching anything in isn't the most fun thing to do.

32 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2019-02-28 10:51:01)

It was Portes birthday coming up and the kids wanted to do something special for him, so they went around town and asked anyone if they would want to come to a surprise birthday party for him. Everyone agreed and said they would bring a dish. Porte's wife and kids were all excited about the idea so they too began to help with preparations. When the day finally came to hold the party Bobbie began to get nervous that Porte wouldn't like all the attention. Her worrying was for nothing, Porte loved the party and everyone enjoyed the food and conversation. Porte said it was the best birthday he had ever had. I've only been to one surprise party and I was in the washroom when everyone shouted surprise so it was a bust for me.

In the following weeks, Jim was able to begin to get up and walk so he left when the pain was gone. The house seemed very dismal after that so the children decided the would go to the station since it was one of the best places on Earth. While they were there Bobbie received a letter from the old gentlemen it said that he would be coming with a surprise. Bobbie couldn't help but think it was her father. When the old gentlemen visited he didn't immediately show them what the surprise was but just as they were sitting down for tea the surprise walked in. It was their father! Everyone rushed to hug him, they finally had their dad back.

The book ended with that heartwarming scene. I really enjoy the fact that the kids saved so many people after coming to live at the Three houses. In a way, if their father hadn't been put in prison they never would have moved there so likely all those people would have died. I would recommend this book to anyone of my classmates since I really enjoyed it.