Re: The Lost Girls by: Jennifer Baggett, Holly Corbett and Amanda Pressner

They arrived in Cambodia's capital of Phnom Penh and spent the next few days biking around and touring the city. They learned about the history of the city. Phnom Penh was transformed into a gruesome site for mass murder in 1975 by a communist party. One of the schools there was shut down and used as a prison and torture center thousands of years ago. Today the city is very much alive and contains many local shops and cafes. They learned more about the types of food they eat such as rice and fish and also what the kids do and schooling. I like reading this book because it also allows me to learn about different places too.

In Phnom Penh, they also visited many museums and historical places. They saw items that were involved in the world wars and read about who was involved and about certain veterans. They took pictures and got to talk to new people. They met a guy who offered to drive them around and show them more things. He took them to one of the best restaurants they had where they ate lots of food and planed the rest of their trip. it was called Mith Samlanh Restaurant which means a good friends restaurant in English
I like looking at the museum stuff and think it would be fun to do it one day.

In Bangkok, Jen had met up with her friend Stephany.  Stephany had been on a business trip and set Jen up on a date with one of her friends, Mark. Mark was tall with blond hair and in Jens words extremely handsome. Jen and Mark went out for dinner and talked for hours. Mark started to get feeling for Jen. Later the next day they went out again and this time Mark invited her back to his house in Bangkok. Jen spent the night at his place then later went to meet up with her other friends Frank, Peter, and Charlotte who had been staying at the same hostel as her. During this time Holly and Amanda were making their way to Bali where Jen would meet up with them later. I feel like in this situation I would be really shy to go out with someone I barely just met and also to be traveling alone would make me feel scared and nervous.

The trip was over halfway over and they only had a few more weeks left. They entered a college dorm looking hostel that was covered in fanned out magazines, DVDs, popcorn and Snickers bar wrappers as well as diet coke bottles. The last few stops of the trip the girls just wanted to relax and take it easy. They slept in and watched movies most of the time. When they finally got the energy to move they walked out to the front desk and met up with the front guard names Herman. They asked Herman if there was any way he could take them to do some sightseeing. Herman agreed and went to borrow his brother's car. He took them to the Pura Luhur Uluwatu temple which was the most sacred temple in Bali and sat high above the city on a mountain. It took about 777 stairs to climb to reach the top. I would like to one day see something like this and get the opportunity to meet new people.

Holly knew a lady who had visited New York before and she lived in a small town near Cambodia. She offered he girls a place to stay  in her home. The lady had a husband and a three year old daughter. They stayed the night in a small room located in their house. They noticed a small red button on the wall and accidental hit it sending a loud ringing noise into the rest of the house. It turns out the button was a security system button. After the first night the next day they spent it hanging out with the family and then later went off to another friends house for dinner. I think it would be fun to stay with new people and get to know them better.

The last stop was Sydney Australia. The girls were surprised that they had almost survived a whole year together. When they arrived they headed over to a car dealership called Auto Barn. There they were greeted by a tall guy named Chris. Chris went a pulled up a van out of the back for the girls to rent. When they saw how big it was they were worried to drive it. Chris had shown them around and then started explaining the rules of the road. These rules were, the oil and coolant must be topped off daily, no riding in the back and no picking up hitchhikers. After hearing all the rules they jumped in and saw a shift stick for switching gears. None of them knew how to operate it. They eventually figured it out and headed on their way. I would like to learn how to shift gears with a shift stick. I also remember my first time driving and I was scared.

32 (edited by kenna.dewing 2019-02-28 18:06:44)

Instead of staying at a hotel they knew another friend from back home in New York that had just recently moved to Sydney. Her name was Simone. Simone offered them a place to stay in her apartment. They then moved in for a month and also paid rent. Simone was Amanda ex-boyfriends friends girlfriend and so they had talked and hung out before. They spent a few days just hanging out in Simone's apartment and planning their last few weeks of the trip. They planned to go on a camping trip and also go Bungie jumping. When they went Bungie jumping everyone did it three times except for Holly who was scared, she just stood and watched. I have been zip lining before but have never been Bungie jumping and would like to try it someday.

They finished their time in Sydney they headed over to a beach. This beach was one of the most popular beaches in Australia. It was called Bondi which comes from an aboriginal word that translates to "the sound of water breaking over rocks". There were many surfers on this beach and the girls enjoyed watching them and playing in the ocean. <they even tried surfing but didn't have very much success.  I have seen many people surf and want to also try it one day and hopefully become good at it.

Just like Canada and America, Australia also has nation holidays.  ANZAC day in Australia is celebrated to honor soldiers who had lost their lives in world war I. This is celebrated by games, BBQ's and picnics at the beach. The girls arrived and saw people all gathered in a circle calling out numbers and coin faces. They walked over and learned a new game called Two-Up. This game is played by holding money over your head and calling out heads or tails with a partner. One person then flips a coin and whichever it lands on the winner gets the other money. The girls joined in and when the others heard their accents they gathered around and started asking questions. They let the girls go up and flip the coins for a few rounds. This game sounds fun and I would like to try and play it one time.

After all the fun they headed to Hunter Vally for one last adventure. Driving along a gravel road, Jen behind the wheel didn't see a clearance sign for going under a bridge. All of a sudden they heard a big bang and crashes. spinning around to a stop they had completely taken off the roof of the car. Jen was worried and scared so much that she had just ruined the trip and they would have to pay lots of money to fix it. Driving to the nearest place they found three guys and asked for help. They had no way in fixing it but instead helped duct tape a tarp over it so if it rained no water could get in. Scared to take it back to Auto Barn they did anyway. Once they arrived the worked acted clam and told them they would give them a new car and they would only have to pay 400 dollars.

The trip had finally ended and they headed back to New York. They all had a great time and were sad it had to end. I really enjoyed this book and liked learning about all the different countries around the world. My favorite place would have to be Bali because I like hot tropical beach places and would like to travel there one day. I think a trip with all my friends would be fun and maybe in the future, I can do it with my friends. I recommend this book to everyone and think it was a great learning experience.