Topic: Bird Box by:Josh Malerman

Usually, I read a book then watch the movie but for Bird box, I am doing it the other way around.
I want to compare them and see which one is better.
Already in the book, it starts off where Malorie, boy and girl are getting ready to leave their little house and getting their blindfolds on. In the book, it jumps from before it started and what's happening now, at the end of the movie it speeds up to where she is now so I’m guessing it will do the same in the book. Five years before, Malorie and her sister live together. Malorie founds out she’s pregnant, and her sister keeps going on about how the incidents that are happening in Russia are coming closer to America. Malorie doesn’t think it’s a big deal and keeps going on about her day. Shannon (Malorie’s sister) is worried and starts covering the windows with blankets. If there were this many reports I would be scared too, I wouldn’t know what to do.
Malorie calls her mom and tells her she’s pregnant. Malorie calls her mom almost every day just to check in with her. Malorie calls her mom and no answer, she keeps calling but still, there is no answer. If my mom didn’t answer the phone in a situation like this, I would be assuming the worst. For the next few chapters its still giving you a little insight into what happened. Malorie and Shannon start covering any view into the outside world. One day Malorie is watching the news channel and hears a thump upstairs. She calls out for Shannon, but no answer. She runs up the stairs and sees light, part of the blanket fell and a part of the window was uncovered. If I was Malorie right now I would be freaking out. Malorie goes to the bathroom and sees Shannon dead on the floor, she killed herself. Malorie knew that her sister would never do that, she then knew that it was the creatures outside who made her do this.

Re: Bird Box by:Josh Malerman

Malorie had no idea what to do, if I was in her shoes I wouldn’t be able to cope at all. Malorie remembers seeing an ad in the newspaper about this house that was taking people in. Malorie looks at the address and was willing to go, she knew she had to stay alive for the baby.
Malorie was driving to the address with her eyes half open and half closed. She finally made it to the house and with her suitcase knocked on the door with her eyes closed.
She kept knocking when finally someone called out, she said her eyes were closed and she needed a place to stay. She was let in and saw five people, 4 men and one woman. There was a man in a weird protection suit (Tom), a bigger man grabs her suitcase (Jules), Don, Felix and Cheryl. They all introduced themselves and showed her a room. Don said that they had enough canned food for about three months. They lived by a river and had a well to get water from. Electricity worked in the hose but no running water. Tom noticed and asked if Malorie was pregnant (bold move if you ask me). Malorie knew that they all had stories of loss and knew that she would do her best to contribute and help them do whatever chores they needed to do. Malorie then noticed that they had a dog named Victor. They told her that the house electricity is run by the river. Tom tells Malorie about how the house wasn’t theirs and that the owner died, he also told her about a cold room where they keep the canned food. Goerge ( the old owner) built it when he knew something was up, the floor was dirt but it still worked.

Malorie and the children get the little boat and climb in, Malorie starts rowing and they have been on it for a few hours. Boy says he hears something and Malorie immediately stops rowing. Malorie then hears a boat with a motor coming in their direction. She then tells the boy and girl to go under the blankets and hide. Malorie hears the boat coming closer, she then hears a man's voice calling out to her, as if he doesn’t have a blindfold on. Malorie knew something was wrong. The man kept on saying how the creatures were a hoax and that Malorie should take off her blindfold and her kids blindfold as well. She then noticed that the man was getting angrier by the minute. He kept calling out to children to take off the blindfolds but Malorie kept yelling to them to not do so. The man then came closer to the boat and Malorie could hear him moving in the water.  The man tried to go on the boat but Malorie tried to hit him with the paddles, she then started rowing away as fast as she could, the man tried to block them from leaving but Malorie found a way through.

Felix goes to the well to fetch some water and he is scared. Cheryl is behind the closed door waiting for the bucket to be handed to her by Don who is outside talking to Felix so Felix doesn’t freak out. Felix went outside and tied the rope to his waist and pulled the blindfold over his eyes.
Felix hesitantly took his first step outside and brought the tin bucket with him. Felix walked slowly to the well and felt for the hook to put the bucket on it. Felix heard something in the forest move and rustle the bushes. Felix stopped for a second and then grabbed the bucket and walked fastly toward Don’s voice. Felix told Don that he had heard something but quickly handed the bucket to him and grabbed the second bucket, this time he walked too quickly and cut himself a little on the well. He filled it up and ran back to Don to get the third bucket when he got the bucket he walked to the well and heard the sound in the forest again and he heard it coming closer, he still managed to put the bucket on the hook but he accidentally knocked it over. I really thought that he was going to die, and I was scared for him. Felix realized that the sound was coming from the well, he quickly reeled the bucket back up and was running back, while on his way he was tripping and falling. I really thought he was going to die but thankfully he made it back. While I was reading this part I was so stressed out for him, I wonder how I feel when someone actually dies.

Malorie is rowing along the river and suddenly boy tells her he hears something. Malorie stops and hears something as well as coming from the forest. Suddenly she heard growling from the forest that's beside them. Malorie then knew that it was wolves, one wolf came at her and scratch her shoulder very hard. Malorie felt her thick blood streaming down from her shoulder. Malorie knows she has to persevere through, for the children and keep rowing. She rows and rows, tell she finally feels safe from the wolves, she stops for a second to tie a piece of clothing around her shoulder.
Boy and Girl both ask Malorie if she was okay. Malorie lied and said yes, Malorie taught the children very well so she knows that they know she is hurting. Malorie is rowing along and feels her arm going slower, the pain is so intense it hurts her. I am so worried about Malorie and the children because Malorie could black out at any moment and leave the kids there by themselves.
Girl tells Malorie that she rowing the wrong way, Malorie then notices that her strong arm has taken over. Malorie goes the right way and then she is contemplating to take off her blindfold. Malorie doesn’t do so but she knows she is about to faint, her hands drop the oars and she passes out.
I am so stressed fro the children now, what are they going to do, are they going to die, is Malorie going to die?

Tom and Jules want to go out and get dogs an look for supplies. Everyone is agreed except for Don, Malorie doesn’t want Tom to leave but she knows it’s for the best. Tom and Jules have a theory that dogs might not be affected by the creatures. Jules doesn’t want to test the theory on Victor so they decided to go out. Tom and Jules wear helmets to protect their blindfolds. They bring duffel bags and brooms to guide them. Malorie’s heart skips a beat when the door closes and they're gone. Tom said they would be gone for twelve hours tops. Malorie started the countdown in her head. She knew that she would have to pick up some slack around the house once they're gone. Malorie does her usual chores and once the twelve hours mark hit and they weren't there she felt that something was wrong. Everyone met at the front entrance waiting for them. Don started telling everyone that they weren't coming back and he started talking about how they now have more canned goods. The time was doubled and they weren’t back, everyone started to worry. I honestly would think that they were dead and I would be going crazy, Tom is the one that is not afraid and ready to take action.
Felix and Don started to fight, right when Felix was about to throw a punch at Don they heard a knock on the door. It was Tom and Jules with two huskies.

As soon as the door closed behind Tom and Jules, Tom felt afraid. They walked to the grass Tom could tell because he felt the difference, Tom unzipped his duffle bag and took out a wooden spike and put it on the lawn so they could tell with their broomsticks. They walked along the streets and went to the first house that they could feel with their broomsticks. Jules handed Tom a towel so he could punch through any window by the house. When Tom punched through there was no cardboard or blankets or anything protecting the windows, So they knew that the people that live there must have left or didn’t believe in what was happening. They searched the house quickly because they knew that there won’t be any supplies there. They moved onto the next house and this time Jules punched in the window and there was a blanket covering it so they had no way of knowing if someone was still in there or not. They search the house with the broomsticks and when they thought everything was okay they took off their blindfolds. They found some canned goods but not very many, Tom found a flashlight and some other supplies. They left the house and went to a new one.  When Tom punched in the window he could feel cardboard. They checked the whole house and then took off their blindfolds. There was no food in the kitchen so Tom went upstairs to look. When Tom went upstairs she noticed a terrible stench coming from the master bedroom. He opens the door and saw a little boy sitting on a chair and he was dead. Tom immediately thought of his daughter Robin that killed herself when she was just eight years old when the creatures appeared.  Jules called down Tom and told him that he found two other bodies and a husky. They took the Husky with them and went to a different house to sleep.

The next day they woke up and kept looking for another dog. They searched houses And came upon another dog in a house when Tom and Jules enter the house they had to leave their blindfolds on because the windows were not covered when I searched it. Tom was trying to feel around for any supplies in the kitchen, he even felt something weird and He immediately knew what it was, they were eyeballs. Tom Laverne wondered if the man or woman was still in the house that must’ve killed themselves. They left the house and tried to make their way back home. Tom and Jules were both tired and afraid and really wanted to get back home. They found the steak on the lawn and proceeded to knock on their own front door. When they got inside Malorie could tell that something happened by just looking into Tom’s eyes. Everyone was relieved and happy to see that the theory of dogs being able to see without blindfolds worked.

Malorie woke up, she had a dry throat and smell like vomit.  Her shoulder was throbbing from the pain. She then heard Boy and Girl breathing hard, she then realized that she had fainted. She asked Boy and Girl if they were okay, and they said that they were. Malorie was shocked that they could survive on their own for a while. She asked the boy how long she had been asleep for and he said not long.
She was afraid for the children and how they could've been eating by the wolves.
She moved the children back to their original spots and kept rowing. She felt at ease, but only for one row. Then she was scared and afraid to be in serious danger.

10 (edited by amelie.despins 2019-02-27 10:23:24)

The whole house was sleeping except for Malorie. Suddenly she heard a knock from the front door. She immediately got up and was completely scared to death.
She walked to where Tom was sleeping and woke him up. Tom was startled but woke up regardlessly. They walked toward the door and as they did others woke up as well, after a while of talking to the man on the outside of the door the housemates took a vote and Malorie was the tiebreaker she said that maybe he needed help and the moment she said it she regretted it. They let in the Gary and he introduced himself.
For me personally, I wouldn't let him in. Yes, it's a person but he could be crazy and probably is crazy. If I heard someone knocking on the door I wouldn't get it I would think that I would be dreaming.

Everyone sat around in the living room and Gary began to tell them his story. He began with that his brother had this friend and the friend was really crazy, he was already prepared for the creatures, and he had an army that he would run. His friend would keep a notebook and would write crazy things. Gary said that he would sit on the outskirts of his ideas because he was crazy. Gary told them that one day his brother's friend pulled down all the blankets and such so they could see the outside. Gary said that he ran away immediately.
Malorie thought that was odd but didn’t think much about it. Gary brought a briefcase with him and Don made him show what was inside, there were a toothbrush, clothes and a notebook.
Gary slept on the kitchen floor, Malorie and Tom stayed up. Malorie could not fall asleep so she stayed up with Tom.
Don did not like Gary but into the week he and Gary were always together in the kitchen talking, Malorie knew something was wrong with Gary but had no proof. She felt like Gary was changing Don. I wonder if Gary’s notebook was actually his brother’s friend’s. I really hope that he’s not bad though.

I don’t know why but the author put this part of the story in it randomly. Malorie knew she had to get supplies, she always had Tom’s voice in her head once he was gone. The babies needed protection. In Malorie's head, Tom was telling her to get microphones and amplifiers to help with surveillance and protection. Malorie knew that she had to get out of the house and leave the babies to get supplies. Malorie was remembering the drive to the house and knew that she had passed a bar, she also remembered that a band was going to play there. Malorie painted black over Cheryl’s Car and taped cardboard on the windows and such (while she was blindfolded.) She tried seven times to get to the bar. She brought Victor with her, she knew it was Felix's dog but she needed him to guide her. She walked into the bar and smell of liquor and old things overcame her. She found the bar and grabbed a bottle of liquor, she then noticed that Victor was pawing at something.
She followed him and felt on the ground, she knew it was a like a cellar, she opened it and there was a terrible stench, she backed away immediately. Victor started to whine and bark. Malorie was trying to make him stop but he wouldn’t, she backed away and started to cry she loved Victor and she knew that he saw something in that cellar. This part is very descriptive so if you get scared easily I don’t recommend reading the rest. Victor was running around and bumping things over, Malorie heard him bitting himself and then she hears a bone break, Victor is killing himself. She stepped back further and falls over she picks up a microphone and some wires she tries to leave the bar and a part of Victor brushes past her cafe, she thinks he ripped off his tongue and threw it.
The sounds that Victor was making sounded like human screams, Malorie was scared and ran outside to the car. She felt so bad and just started to cry. She leads Victor to his death.
When I read this part I was so shocked and sad, the book obviously was way more descriptive and I was so disgusted.

Everyone sat around in the living room and Gary began to tell them his story. He began with that his brother had this friend and the friend was really crazy, he was already prepared for the creatures, and he had an army that he would run. His friend would keep a notebook and would write crazy things. Gary said that he would sit on the outskirts of his ideas because he was crazy. Gary told them that one day his brother's friend pulled down all the blankets and such so they could see the outside. Gary said that he ran away immediately.
Malorie thought that was odd but didn’t think much about it. Gary brought a briefcase with him and Don made him show what was inside, there were a toothbrush, clothes and a notebook.
Gary slept on the kitchen floor, Malorie and Tom stayed up. Malorie could not fall asleep so she stayed up with Tom.
Don did not like Gary but into the week he and Gary were always together in the kitchen talking, Malorie knew something was wrong with Gary but had no proof. She felt like Gary was changing Don. I wonder if Gary’s notebook was actually his brother’s friend’s. I really hope that he’s not bad though.

Tom and Jules have decided to go to Tom’s house to get supplies, they mapped it out, they said that they would be gone for a week. Malorie knew they had to get food. After the had gone for past their deadline everyone was worried. Malorie was especially worried for Don, he had been spending most of his time with Gary. Malorie was getting very paranoid and wanted to know what exactly was inside Gary’s briefcase.
One night she got the courage, she walked toward the kitchen and saw Gary sleeping on the floor. She had to reach over him to get the briefcase. She grabbed it and went to the cellar, she opened it up and saw the notebook. She read through some pages and it was about terrible things of killing others and how man is the real creature. Malorie knew this had to Gary’s and not his brother’s friend. She went back upstairs and put it back. She was really scared that he was awake and just watching her.

Malorie wanted to tell someone but Felix was going to do something and if she told Cheryl she would go ballistic and do something sooner if she told Olympia she would just be scared.
Malorie waited till everyone was in the living room the next morning. She was started off by saying if the others remembered about Gary’s then she was interrupted by the door, everyone looked away from Malorie and towards the door, it was Tom and Jules, they actually came back. Malorie felt relieved that Tom was back and that she could tell him. Everyone was celebrating and happy, Tom brought everyone bicycle horns, Malorie slapped the table with her hand and stood up. She told everyone about what she saw in the notebook, her face went red and everyone started shouting and asking her why she went through his things. Don was shouting at her and then Tom made everyone stop and let Gary explain himself, Gary went to get “his brother’s friends notebook”  he came back and everyone was waiting. He told everyone that he didn’t have a satisfactory answer and that he kept it so he would keep himself sane, Felix said that he told them that his brother’s friend still had it. Tom then put it to a vote everyone was against Gary and wanted him to leave, Don said that it looked bad but didn’t want Gary to go. Gary took his things and Tom got him a helmet and some food, Gary left and the house was quiet. It had been seven weeks since Gary had left and Don had been in the cellar all the time. Victor was scratching the cellar door, Jules and Tom went to check on Don Malorie came as well. They saw Don in the shadows of the cellar and he looked skinny frail and his skin looked like clay. Tom got him up and they had a drink, everyone came to the kitchen together but Malorie felt dizzy, she went upstairs and before she knew it everyone was upstairs with her. Victor was barking downstairs and Jules left to go see Victor.
I think that Malorie is about to give birth and that Victor is barking because Gary broke in and is going to kill everyone, it's probably a false theory but we will see what will happen.

Malorie and Olympia went into labour at the same time, Olympia was already in the attic and Malorie was on her way up. Tom started to play music and then something happened downstairs. Soon Malorie and Olympia were left alone in the attic, Malorie then saw Gary merge from the shadows of the attic. She then knew that Gary had been hiding in the house. Gary closed and locked the door of the attic. Malorie then heard yelling and arguing coming from downstairs. She then heard someone yell for Don not to do something, she knew something bad was going to happen. Gary was with Malorie and Olympia, they gave birth and Gary opened the attic window, Malorie took Olympia’s baby and hers because Olympia didn’t cover her eyes. Olympia jumped and broke the window open, Malorie then heard her bang against the house. Tom started to bang against the attic door and everyone was screaming downstairs. Malorie then knew that Don had pulled down the blankets and opened the door. I was so scared for Malorie and the newborn babies, Gary left the room and Malorie sat there until the house was completely silent. Did everyone die? I didn't know yet and I was afraid that Gary was still in the house.

Malorie heard the phone ring and it kept ringing and ringing, she closed her eyes and pulled the babies close to her, she walked down the steps not knowing she was passing all her friends' dead bodies. She finally got to the phone and answered, it was a man named Rick and he told her that they were taking in people, he said that they had resources and grew their own food and such, Malorie knew she had to go somewhere but didn’t have the courage to do so. It took Malorie 6 hours to search the entire house and put up blankets, finally, she took off her blindfold and found her friends dead everywhere in the house. It took her four years to build up enough courage to go to Rick’s shelter. She and the children left for the so-called shelter. When Malorie knew she had to look because she heard Tom’s voice on a loop of when he left a message. Rick put his voice on a loop not knowing that he was dead. Malorie stopped rowing for a second then realized that it wasn’t actually him and she knew that she had to open her eyes. Malorie opened her eyes and the colours overwhelmed her, he eyes were trying to adjust and she knew she had to look quickly to see if she was going on the right path, she rowed the boat the right side that quickly shut her eyes tight and put on her blindfold. The boat was then stopped by a net, Malorie heard footsteps coming towards them. She told the children to get down, the voice of a woman then come to Malorie and her children. The women pulled their boat up and helped Malorie and the kids. They walked to the shelter and the door opened. Rick's voice then was heard by Malorie, with her eyes shut she went over to him and hugged him. Rick then asked Malorie what the children's names were, Malorie patted girls head and said that her name was Olympia and then patted the boys head and said his name was Tom. I was really happy for Malorie and the kids to finally be safe, the shelter was a shelter for the blind and everyone was happy and healthy.
                                    The end.