Topic: Local Girl Missing by:Claire Douglas

Today I started reading a book called Local Girl Missing and from what you can tell from the title this book deals with some somewhat dark concepts. So far in the book I have learned from one of the two narrators of the story that her best friend's, whom had previously been declared missing 19 years ago, body has been found and needs to be further identified. From here Frankie, one of the narrators, gets a call from her friends brother and is asked to come back to her small home own and help find out what really happened to her late best friend. On the flip side we hear about the night she disappeared from Sophie herself, the other narrator and missing person, through a series of diary entries, thus helping us to discover what really happened and the events leading up to her disappearance.

Re: Local Girl Missing by:Claire Douglas

Upon reading this book further we are introduced to a few new plots and revelations that can help to speculate and predict what happened to Sophie 19 years prior. Frankie and Daniel, Sophie's older brother, go back to their hometown and look further into the night that the incident occurred by questioning some people that had seen Sophie that night. We also are simultaneously being told about the days leading up-to her death by Sophie's character through a series of old diary entries. The reader is also introduced to another mystery involving one of Frankie's past boyfriends from her teen years. Through hints in the book we are led to believe that something very bad happened to him and both Sophie and Frankie are both heavily involved.

It is still quite unclear who was responsible for Sophie's death at this point in the book, although there are a few suspects that have quite reasonable motives. We finally get to learn about what happened to Jason, the boy who dies I mentioned earlier, it is revealed that both Sophie and Frankie were with him the night that he drowned and feel as though they are responsible for his death. It now makes sense to the reader why his death was so crucial to the story as it provides a very clear motive for someone to kill Sophie. Some of Frankie's possessive tendencies are also starting to be brought to light through the series of flashbacks and diary entries of Sophie's past, allowing us to see some strain in their relationship.

There has been no revelations yet in the book of who killed Sophie but some things are being revealed through Sophie's diary entries about who the killer might be and their motive. This book is pretty good so far, although it doesn't differentiate too much from the basic format of a murder mystery making it kind of repetitive. However the plot is good and leaves you hooked and wanting to know more, so in that aspect I think that the author did a very good job in incorporating a good element of suspense, which is very important in a murder mystery novel.

5 (edited by alora.smith 2019-09-19 14:23:39)

The final conclusion of the book was quite a twist as it is revealed that Frankie had been the murderer the whole time, after Sophie revealed some rather unsettling thing her father had done, and only returned to cover up her tracks. Although this was quite a twist the major plot point is that Sophie never really died and merely faked her death so that she would no longer be stalked by Frankie's father who has grown quite obsessed with her. Honestly it was a very suspenseful book but as I have previously stated it was the same as any other murder novel right down to the dramatic plot wist at the end. I also had a problem with the ending as the whole "she faked her death" thing is kind of a cop out ending and makes the author seem lazy about the ending. Overall it was an OK book and I would recommend this genre to other but not particularly this book. Also if the author kept building up to the ending in way where we had some foreshadowing throughout the book it would have been a more powerful way to make us think about what we had previously read with a more critical gaze.