Topic: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I started the first book of the Hunger Games series because I forgot my other book at home.  Katniss Everdeen describes that in what used to be North America is 12 districts and one district that leads the others that is called the Capitol.  Katniss wakes up for a regular day of hunting trading and chores.  Only it's not a regular day, it's the day of the reaping.  The reaping is the day that people from the capitol come and draw a boy and a girl to play in the annual Hunger Games.

Re: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Katniss and everyone in her district are at the reaping.  Prim is one of the chosen tributes for the Hunger Games, along with a boy named Peeta.  When Prim is picked, Katniss volunteers for her.  Katniss leaves her family and is on her way to the Capitol for training.  When she arrives in the Capitol, she is amazed by everyone's fashion and how weird they look.  They are all wearing bright ugly clothes and makeup appears to make their faces look like plastic.  Katniss meets her styling group and is afraid they will make her look as ugly as them.  She is happy to know that her head stylist doesn't want to change her look too much.  All the tributes get dressed up for their fancy entrance to the Capital parade.

Re: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Each of the pairs from the Districts is glossed up to make a good show for the people of the Capitol.  After the parade, the tributes go to their fancy rooms for a feast and a good nights sleep.  The next morning, the tributes head to the gym for training.  There's a wide variety of options from spear and knife throwing to camouflage, fire making, cooking, fishing, and physical training.  Lots of the tributes look intimidating to Katniss but she shows off her sharp shot with a bow.  After two days of intense training, each tribute is personally evaluated and givin a number from 1 to 10 on their skill.  Katniss is givin an 8.  It's the day of the Games and Katniss is tremendously nervous.  Her stylist, Cinna, gives Katniss her mockingjay pin to wear in the arena.  Katniss goes into the glass tube which rises her into the arena.  In the middle, there's a massive cornucopia filled to the top with weapons and supplies to help survive the games.