Topic: Fr. Mike Videos

Write a reply here in the forums about a Fr. Mike video you recommended to the Class. Write a brief summary in your own words demonstrating (give evidence from the video) your understanding of the main point(s) in the video.

First come first serve. Be sure the video you write about is unique.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … JhJ4q1tpwH

2 (edited by hanna.devos 2019-10-17 14:38:06)

Re: Fr. Mike Videos

Can we Joke About God? In my video, Father Mike was talking about how if you are Catholic and have a close relationship with God then it is ok to joke because he knows that you are joking. If you don't have a close relationship with him he may think that it is true. When Father Mike was younger his friend and Father Mike would always joke about how when they were at the pool how they would joke about how when Jesus walked across the water then they would always joke about it. They knew that they had a close relationship with God and so they knew that they could joke around and they would know that they would be forgiven.

3 (edited by alora.smith 2019-10-17 14:43:15)

Do you present your true self to others?
This video piqued my interest in regards to the way he explained this concept. You see when we normally hear this we think about just being ourselves and not changing who we are for others. However, the way Father Mike puts it he explains how we don't only have to present our true selves to others but to ourselves. This may seem like an abstract concept as we should know ourselves but the way Father Mike explained it he said that sometimes when we sin we like to try and convince ourselves that we are still innocent and are not as bad as others may see it. So with this, we need to be able to be truthful to ourselves and admit to our sins and their severity. This whole idea of being truthful to ourselves is a very different way of thinking and it puts into perspective how much we all try and convince ourselves that what we are doing isn't really that bad when in reality it can be very serious.   

4 (edited by madison.macdonald 2019-10-17 14:35:43)

I watched a Farther Mike video and I liked it a lot. It gave me an answer to a question that I had on my mind for a long time wich is, do all people go to heaven? The answer is it depends on how you live your life whether you chose the right path of not like, he said that its kinda like rsvp so if you say something and not follow through with it then it is not the best decision but if you follow through with it then it is the better decision. I think that it was a good video to watch and get answers from.

5 (edited by reyne.hoare 2019-10-17 14:42:14)

Fr Mike Schmitz is explaining what boredom can teach us. He explains that the human is made for three things love, labor, and leisure. He tells you that boredom is actually a way for you to be creative. If you are on the edge of being bored you usually will end up consuming something from food or digital media something to stop the boredom. Boredom happens when you rest and if you rest a lot it increases your chance of being bored.he tells a story of a man who is a scientist and author who doesn't use any internet he doses so because boredom leads to creativity. He believes that the saint would never be bored they always keep busy. The world will never be boring because the world isn't boring there will always be something new for you to do or something new to learn. My take from this video is that the world isn't boring and boredom leads to creative influences in life.

Finding God in Darkness
This video is about finding God when you feel alone in the dark. Fr. Mike talked about purgatory. He said our love needs to be purified and that can be done in purgatory or in this like. Fr. Mike gave an analogy of a boat. If you are pushing the boat into the water when the tide is in, it would be easy. That could be compared to knowing God is with you and feeling his love and grace. When the tide goes out, the boat is harder to push because it is sitting on the ground. That could be compared to a time of spiritual darkness when you don't feel anything, you don't know for sure if heaven is real and you don't know what to do. You feel stuck, but it's really, really good if you choose to love God even in the darkness when you can't see and aren't sure of anything.

The video that I watched today and recommended was The significance of ash Wednesday and it talked about why we wear the ashes and a bit about the ashes. We where ashes to symbolize that we have sinned but the cross means that Jesus is with us and believes in us because we are one of his. Also, the ashes are also a sign of repentance or a turning point in your life which means to turn away from sins.

Fr Mike Video about "Why be catholic and not just Christian". It is about father Mike explaining why you should be catholic and not just Christian. It explains the difference between Catholics and Christians and what people of strong faith do and practice. It explains how Jesus is the king of the kingdom. And how Jesus wants people to teach in his name.

Homosexuality and the Catholic church. The Catholic religion doesn't have a problem if someone is gay, but they will not marry the gay couple. The reason the Catholic religion won't marry the gay couple is that they don't believe in that and think the being gay is a sin. The church will not judge your sexual beliefs but they will not encourage them either. The church believes that boys don't belong with other males and females don't belong with other females. The right way according to the church is a man and a woman. That is not everyone's opion but that's the catholic church's opion on that situation.

Yes, a Catholic can marry a non-catholic, however, it has to be done properly. They have to do a different process and thye have to get married in the catholic church.

Today my classmates and I had an assignment where we had to watch a Father Mike video and suggest it to the class.  I suggested "Training vs Working out" for my video.

The video is about the differences between training and working out.  He talks about it by telling about how athletes say they work out during the weekend, and them doing a simple exercise.  He then tells us about how there is a major difference between the two like how working out you're just doing it because you want to and there is no goal, but training is exercising (training) to accomplish a goal.  He explains how you need a goal to accomplish, you're trying to reach a goal, you want to do it for yourself.  You want to do it and do your best at it.  He says a workout is many different motions, some could be hard motions but you do it because you want to exercise, work out.  Training is close to working out but you have a goal, motivation, and that's all you need to accomplish a goal, motivation.
           He explains that your not really accomplishing anything unless you have a goal.  Sure you might be putting in time and effort, but is there a goal you're trying to accomplish, are you really doing you best for your goals?

12 (edited by jim.smith 2019-10-17 15:06:45)

I watched the video "3 Questions to ask to prevent gossip". In the video Fr. Mike says if someone comes up to you and tells something about another person you can just say to them that why did I need to know that I didn't ask or should I know this, is it useful.  Another thing to ask is, is it true because if you just assume it's true you would be telling lies. another thing to know is is it good news.  These tips will help you know the truth instead of guessing it.

I watched a video and it is called What You Can Control.  It talks about how when you are doing something you can always control what it is.  He says that if you are going to do something or thinking to do something you should know that when you do something right than it is in your control and if you did something bad it was also in your control as well.  He tells us that if you are skipping things that you shouldn't be or that you should attend and be there on time.  He tells us that you have Agency and everyone's strongest place is their hearts and no one can take it away from you.  Do everything in your power that you can control is to avoid bitterness.  If you do that you will remain enternally free.  When Jesus went through everything he did he remained un bitter and it made it better for him.  Jesus didn't let all of that change how he thought and it still stayed in his heart.  Even if you get rid of all those things you could still get hurt again but the difference that time is that you would have agency and you would be mature enough that you wouldn't be as hurt as you were.  And it is worth it to have a heart that can be wounded like Jesus's heart was.  Rather than having a heart that is so bitter and isn't as good.  That is why I liked this video so much because it taught me that you just got to let all that go and just Know that what you are doing is the right thing even though when others think the opposite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6j-794--UE

14 (edited by ivy.fancubit 2019-10-17 15:06:53)

“Do All Pets Go to Heaven” Father Mike talks about people go to heaven it's not just a big empty space. He said that since, God placed the beautiful places in Earth, the universe and the animals. Fr Mike said that it made sense that the animals would go to heaven, but we can’t just assume that everything or everyone is going to heaven. Fr Mike also made an example of Thomas Aquinas that he said no, there are two reasons at least, one is because he is making a distinction between the rational soul of human beings and angels have a rational soul as well and the animal soul. Based on Thomas Aquinas opinion about the animal soul, he said that the animal soul is different from the rational soul of human and that our soul was made to go to heaven.

15 (edited by gavin 2019-10-17 15:03:58)

In this video, he talks about how the church can benefit from CrossFit because everyone talks about CrossFit and if the church can do the same that CrossFit does then that can get more Christians going to the church. then he goes to explain how almost everyone has heard of CrossFit. Then he goes on to explain how all the church wants is for a lot of people to come to the church and learn about Christ.

Fr. Mike made a video on the topic of, 'Does God Make Us with Flaws'.  Fr. Mike one day heard a person say that God made us all perfect.  He had to stop that person and explain to them that no one is perfect. We all make mistakes and Fr. said that one of the most common excuses to justify our behavior is "I was born this way".  Fr. Mike says that if we own up to our mistakes, that's what makes us perfect in God's eyes.  We need to confess our sins.

What you should know about purgatory
Most people believe that a place of final purification exists, the process of purification is painful or involves discomfort and that prayers on earth can assist during final purification. But didn't Jesus pay the final price for our sins? Yes he did, he helped us get to his father without the consequences of sin. Jesus paid that price to make it possible for us to have access to his Father. Purgatory is all about God's forgiveness and releasing us from those consequences of sin also called hell. When we pray to God we ask for forgiveness so we can avoid those consequences.

To begin this video, Fr Mike talks about how from the moment that He created something other than Himself, God lost a degree of his power.  When God made free-minded humans, He wasn't in controll of all things anymore.  God isn't in controll of our lives in a complete way.  When evil things happen, they are not according to God's will, but they do not thwart his plan.  What is according to God's plan though, is everything that is beauty, harmony, perfection, grace, wonder, and all things that only help, inspire, or affect life in a positive manner.  God wants humans to thrive.  Fr Mike references a passage from the book of Wisdom in the Old Testament that tells us God did not create death.  All of this goes to show that God is never the bad guy.

Father Mike made a video mainly about Bromance. He gave specific examples on what real friendship is and what real friends do. He talked about how it wasn't like how someone wants something or someone else like how we love pizza but he said that real friendship is when you and another person are running the same race in life and get along because of that.

Fr. Mike  Can we joke about God. 
In this video, it tells us when it is appropriate to joke about God, and what is not nice to say.  He explains that whatever jokes you make they have to surround respect.  You have to respect what God has given you.  It is like when you joke around with your parents or friends you do that because you have a bond with those people.  Respect is important because you if make a joke to someone that does not revolve around respect then you are not being nice.  Fr. Mike said yes we can joke about God as long as it is respectful.

Be A Hater: 
At the beginning of the video, Father Mike changed the phrase 'Hater gonna hate", to 'Lovers gonna hate." In the video, he talks about how in the history of Christian life there have always been the commandments of God, but even though we emphasize this, there has always been a prior step to love God and that prior step was to 'hate sin". Father says that in the 10 commandments there is to love God with everything you've got and love your neighbor as yourself. In order to love your neighbor, you first need to love yourself. that you are good and broken, good and sinful, and that's ok. He also talked about how we often ignore the sin in ourselves and look at the sins of other people. Ther is sin out in the world and sin is the evilest thing a human can do.

Fr. Mike Schmitz explained that its important to be grateful for the fact that you're growing, be patient and that God will get you there eventually. Sometimes we focus on the past when really we should be focusing on the present, and focusing on the gifts that God is presenting to you right now. He explains that if you are unsatisfied that you should identify the season you are in as opposed to the season you want to be in. When you focus on things in the future or in the past your missing all the blessings that were coming to you. Father Mike said its important to be patient with yourself, patient with the process. Focus on today, not the work of tomorrow. I found this video helpful because I'm constantly worrying about my future, and whats to come.

The video I watched was “Why Non-Catholics Can't Receive Communion.”  Fr. Mike says that the catholic church is not unwelcoming you or saying your not good enough because you aren't Catholic.  They are not trying to make you feel pain even though it might feel that way. It goes way back from the beginning. Communion is what people might call an "insider deal." They say it's only been for those who are fully initiated into the catholic church. Some people think that if u can’t receive communion then your not welcomed and if you can receive it then you are welcomed but that’s not the case.  When people of the catholic faith receive holy communion they believe that when they take the priest holds it up and says “this is the body of Christ” it is actually the body of Jesus and when they drink from the chalice that it is actually the blood of Christ.  They don’t believe it's just a symbol they believe it’s actually the real thing.  When they say amen it is a Hebrew word for I believe. Fr. Mike says that after “I believe” comes “I stake my life on that.” He says if that's not Jesus then my life is forfeit. They don’t want to give you something that you truly don’t believe or give you something you unknowingly believe so that's why Non-Catholics don’t receive Holy communion.

The video that I put in classroom for Fr Mike is called Netflix and chill. I picked this one because it is funny but interesting because it talked about how colleges and universities have done tests that have proven that teens have more troubles get in relationships because they are not sure what to do in them or have to ask a girl to date or go out on a date. My favorite part about the video was how he told about the time that he was telling a story to a school and talked about Netflix and chill but he didn't know what it actually meant.

I watched the video Is Curiosity A Vice? I think this means is it ok to be curious because you want to learn and gain knowledge. Knowledge is about learning more, asking questions and finding the truth. For example in the bible verse John 14 Jesus says,” I am the way, the truth, and the life,” 

John 14:6 King James Version (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

In the bible verse, God tells us he is the truth. We should only look for the truth and use the truth in a good away.