Topic: Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Today I started a new book and it is called where the red fern grows.  it is an older book but so far it is a really good book and I am really going to enjoy it.  It is about this family and the little boy really wants red boned coun hounds because he wants them for hunting but he needs to find a way to get the money for them because his family is poor and they can't afford to get him the dogs.

Re: Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Billy was really sad and put down when he always saw a coonhound hunting down something thing in the fields and it always reminded him that he was one of the only kids without one or two really good hounds.   When he was walking downtown he had saw a sign and it said dogs for sale.  When he was reading what kind of dogs where for sale in the bottom right-hand side he had seen it say baby redboned coonhounds for sale 25 dollars each.  Billy was so excited but then he thought about it for a minute and said I don't have 25 dollars and certainly Mama and Dad weren't going to help with the price so he had to just fine an idea to be able to afford two dogs.  Billy said I guess I will have to see everything I make until I am able to afford the dogs.

It had been 2 years and Billy had finally made up the money to buy the two dogs.  The dogs were in town and he lived very fare away out of town so it would be a long day to go get the dogs.  Billy had left at dawn and he had left the house like a quiet mouse and by the time he had gotten to town it was already evening and his feet were killing him but he didn't care, all he cared about ws getting his two dogs.  Billy got to the place where the dogs were and when he said where are my dogs the guy working said here they are and Billy was watering up in the eye and with a big smile he said thank you very much.  Now the struggle was to get the dogs back home safe and sound.

it was already dark and Billy had just left town about an hour ago and he was starting to get worried because without the sun he didn't know what direction he was going and if he was even going the right way.  he had seen a cave on the other side of the river and he had said to himself that it would be a good spot to sleep for the night because it would block out the wind and he could build a fire to stay warm.  Billy and his two dogs were fast to sleep and it was about halfway through the night and Billy was awoken by a sound that sounded like a Lion.  He had grabbed a flashlight and when he flashed it to the front of the cave there it was a big mountain lion and the fight was on.

The lion had just got into the cave and was circling around Billy and the two pups and Billy weren't scared for himself he was scared that the lion might try to take his pups and Billy said over my dead body.  The lion started to yelp at them and then Old dan came out of the sack and started barking back at it and same went for Little ann and Billy was prouder than ever that is dogs were fighting for him and after a bit, the mountain lion had left and he had never returned.  The morning had come and he was already home and when he had got home he walked into the house and his mom looked up at him and was so happy to see him and said we thought we had lost you and she said what is in the sack and he said my two pups.  She said pups what pups and Billy had pulled them out and she said how can you afford these and he said I can because I have been saing up for two years and I came up with the money and she said that is so good but the work has just begun.

It was an early Sunday morning at it was the day that Billy was going to start training with his dogs and boy he was really nerves.  He had breakfast and he was eager to start the training and so were his dogs.  The headed down to the river and found a trail and he said to his dogs this is where we are going to spend lots of our time for now on and it will be tough but when it is all over you two will be the best hunting dogs in the bottoms.  It had been hours already and nothing was going Billy's way and he was starting to get mad.  It was just about supper time and Billy finally said let's go home and eat and we will start again bright and early.

When Billy had walked into the house his father was there and he had asked him " how is the training going."  And Billy said, " to be honest with you not to well."  They just aren't getting it yet and I don't think they will.  And his father said with a big smile " son it takes lots of time to train those dogs and it isn't a day's work it is months of work and maybe even years but when they figure it out it is the greatest thing in the world."  Billy thought about it and said to himself I will keep trying until those dogs get it locked in their tiny little heads.

It was the end of summer and fall was just round the corner and hunting season was to.  It was the first year ever that Billy was going to hunt and man he was so excited but also very nervous as well.  He couldn't wait until the sun went down and the hunt was on.  It was about an hour after supper and he was getting his axe nice and sharp in the shop and his mother walked in and Billy asked " what you doing out here."  His mother said, " are you sure you wanna go out tonight all alone because it can be very dangerous when you are by yourself and Billy said, " I know I will be careful."  Then his father had come out and was so proud of Billy and was making sure that he had everything he needed to make the night as good as it could be and then he said, " I am hoping by morning I see a big coon skin on the smoking house and then we can sell it for some money at your grandfathers store.  Billy had left the house and he was deep into the woods already and he was sitting in the long tall grass waiting to spot his very first coon.  It had been 3 hours and Billy was almost falling asleep and then he herd something in the bush and he said to himself yes this is it and he and his dogs were ready for it.  It ran out very fast out of the tree and into the trail and Billy's dogs were on it and got it up a tree and the made the sound to let Billy know that they caught it and the had chased it up the tallest tree in the woods but Billy didn't care and he was very proud of them but now he had to figure out how to get the tree down so he could kill the coon.

It had been days and Billy was still trying to cut down the tree in the bottoms.  His hands had blisters all over them and his back was killing him but he didn't care he was going to cut down that tree and he didn't care how long it took.  He had started chopping it on Wednesday and it was now Saturday and Billy was just about to give up and then something weird happened.  He had said a prayer that the wind would knock the tree over and it did.  Billy was so happy but he wasn't worried about that right then, all he was worried about was making sure he got the coon.  He had got the coon and he was so proud of himself that when he took it home that he held it high in the air ans his whole family was so proud as well now the idea was to keep the skins coming in.