Topic: Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

I started reading a new book called Hatchet. What is happening right now is Brian which is the protagonist, his parents got a divorce and he stays with his Mom during the school year and his Dads during summer. Right now his Mom is taking him to the jet so he can be flying out to his Dad's house but before they arrive at the airport his Mom gives him a small hatchet to go on his belt. I am at the part where they are up flying in the air.

Re: Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

So I read more of the book called Hatchet and so far it is a great book with lots of detail so far. Right now when they are flying up in the air and the Poilet was having very bad pains in his shoulder and ended up having a heart attack and now Brian which is the protagonist's name has to fly the plane by himself while not knowing what to do. So he was getting somewhat in contact with flight control but soon wasn't.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening now is Brian now has stopped the engine and is deciding to freefall while still maintaining control of the plane hoping to find a lake to land it in so it would be smoother. As Brian thought hard about these decisions he realized that the only good landing procedure would be landing in the lake cause in the trees would rip apart the plane and him. Brain kept gliding the plane in hopes of finding a lake but he couldn't, then he did and an open area of trees that lead to a lake so know he was trying to put the plane there then he hit the ground and the plane slide into the water now sinking. Brian found a spot he could get out of in the window and he did now trying to get to the surface without passing out from lack of air and he did, now brian was cold wet and was being eating alive from mosquitoes but also alone by himself in the wilderness.

In the book Hatchet what is happening now is he is very thirsty and hungry. so he goes by the lake and he doesn't know if it is clean and healthy to drink so he finds a log because at the surface it was murky and full of bugs so with the log he went out farther until it was cleaner and leaned over and drank until he couldn't anymore. Then when he got back he kept on having thoughts of a juicy burger which made him hungry. He didn't know what to do but he thought back to one of his classes and what his teachers said and it is helping him survive his teacher told him to stay motivated and that is what he is doing. That is what I have read so far in the book Hatchet.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening now is brian needs to make a shelter to be safer from the wildlife because if there are Bears and Wolves out there and his shelter is the tree he could get attacked so he went and looked around the lake so he was nearby the lake for direction and ended up finding a smaller cave. So Brian ended up remodeling and making that a better shelter and so he had that part done. Next, he was very hungry so he thought hard about what he could eat and berries came up so then he went still looking at the lake so he didn't get lost went into the forest to find some berries for food and ended up seeing a bird that went to the berries and when Brian saw them he ate until he was full then took a lot of berries and put them in his windbreaker and took the back to his shelter. After he got back he made his shelter bigger. That is what I have rad so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening now is at the start of the chapter he woke up and he had a bad pain in his stomach and it was all of the berries he ate from that bush when he was hungry so after Brain dealt with that he ended up calling those berries gut cherries and decided if he was hungry and was going to eat those berries he could only eat little at a time so know he had to go looking for more food so he went out back into the forest still keeping an eye out of where he was so he didn't get lost found a raspberry bush and they were fully ripe and ready to eat and Brian knew it was a rasberry bush because when him and his friend went biking in the park they had those bushes and his friend and him would go and eat them. Also when he was picking the raspberries and after he was full he picked more and put them in his windbreaker but as soon he looks the other way he saw a bear eating berries but then the bear stood up and then went back down and left mining his own business. That is what I have read so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening right now is Brian is sleeping and something struck his leg like a needle and his leg was in bad pain and didn't know what it was until he felt the 8 needle-like things in his legs and he knew that it was a Porcupine and there were 8 quills in his leg. Brian tried and ended up pulling out some of the quills but was in a lot of pain and he cried for a while in the corner of his shelter. Brain realized and remember something that being sorry for your self didn't get you anywhere. after Brian just had a bunch of flashbacks then remembered that when he threw his hatchet at the Porkupine it created a spark and realized that I how he needed to start his fire. That is what I have read so far.

I read some more of the book called Hatchet and what is happening right now is Brian is still continuing to make fire by hitting his hatchet against a rock to create sparks for a fire but all of the hitting his hatchet against the rock still didn't start a fire so he went out and got some things that he thought would be a firestarter like twigs and grass but didn't start anything but then he found a 20 dollar bill which was paper and paper is a good fire starter but it didn't. Then he found a dead birch tree by the lake so he went took the bark off and it wouldn't start so he made it softer by shredding it but still would start. He thought to himself what was he doing wrong and it was he wasn't giving it oxygen cause he was making it in his shelter. So then when he made a lot of sparks and it started on fire he blew hard on it and blew it out so then he did the same thing started a piece of the birch on fire but blew on it softly and it started on fire but was burning up fast so he took the stuff that wasn't starting before kept feeding it to keep the fire going and that is what I have read so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening know is Brian made a fire and is keeping it going so he had spent the whole day just going back and forth getting wood for his fire because it is burning out fast. Also when he was sleeping he forgot to wake up and re stirring the fire so it had gone out and so there was no fire but still red hot coals so he carefully blew on those and they started up again. That I what I have read so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening know is while Brian is sleeping he hears a noise from outside, it was a splashing noise that it was like someone was jumping around in the water and playing in the sand but Brian wasn't worried because he had his fire to protect any animals from coming into his shelter. The next morning as Brian went out to investigate what the sound was last night and when he looked at the sand there was a bunch of eggs in the sand and the knew it was a turtle. Also, the hunger was getting to him and he needed to have something to eat because he ate all of the raspberries and ended up later eating some of the turtle eggs and keeping the rest for later. Next, what happened he was looking back at himself and realized that he had changed since he crashed landed. That is what I have read so far.

I read more of my book called Hatchet and what is happening now is he is talking about how he has changed in his appearance and his ways. After that, he would keep on going to get more wood for his fire to keep it going and he said that he had so much wood that he could have started a bonfire. After he thought of new food ideas and what they could be and that is when he saw a bird fly into the lake and come out with a fish and so he tried to go into the lake to lake and sure enough, there was a lot of different fishes, but they were too quick for him to just catch by himself. That is what I have read so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening right now is he is finding food so he is looking at the water and what he is looking at is the fish but thinks he doesn't want fish he wants birds he calls fool birds because they are foolish and so at the L shape by the water he keeps on walking until he saw a Wolf and her cub and it was close to him and he didn't know what to do but he ended up getting away but had a rough time he thought about how many days he was there and he just kept on thinking about bad stuff. The following morning he was better and he realized that he had changed and now was a different tougher person and it put a smile on his face and he was better and not so mad anymore.

I read some more of the book Hatchet and what is happing now is Brian is making a bow and arrow to go fishing in the lake for fish because now he wants some real food like meat and stuff so he goes and takes his bow and arrow and tries shooting a fish but it doesn't work until he realizes that he learned in school that water refracts and so the fish are deeper then they appear so he stuck is arrow don deeper into the water and got a fish on the end because when he lifted the arrow a fish was right there and so after that he would eat the fish and then keep going down get one and eat it and keep going back to the lake to get another one. Brian then said after he must have had over 20 fish, that is what I read.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening now is Brian was sitting by the fire and he saw a creature digging by his eggs and it was a Skunk that had gotten into his shelter and was trying to steal his eggs at first Brian thought it was cute but then realized that was his food and grabbed a hand full of sand and threw it at the Skunk. The Skunk then reacted by lifting and spraying him and then the Skunk left. Brian felt and was blinded for a while because of when the Skunked sprayed him in the face. For a month and a half, Brian said that the smell was terrible so he would take a bath 4 times a day in the lake to get rid of the smell.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happing now is Brian is taking his old shelter down and making one better so he doesn't have any animals like the Skunk again coming into his shelter and taking his food because right know Brian said that he was short of food. Then after this, he made a food shelf for the food that he is getting and then a thing that he made so it wll store a lot of fish alive so he does have to keep going down to the lake to get fish.

Today I read some more of the book Hatchet and what is happening is Brian is now is counting down the days that he has been alone after the plane crash and he is doing that by put marks on the stone every day. All Brian can think about is the first meat which s food and that is when he decides he wants to go and hunt one of the fool birds and so that is what he is doing right now in the story.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happing now is Brian is going hunting for the birds he calls fool birds because he doesn't like them but he is going hunting and after many times of misses with his bo and arrows and spear he finally kills a bird and heads back to his shelter to cook it. When he got back he realized that it was different to cook a bird then fish because he had to skin it the cook it by spinning it so he figured it out and thats what he did so now he was cooking it but it was cooked on the outside but still raw on the inside so he cooked it a little bit more but it was still the same so he ate it and it was delicious to him because that was his first meat in a long time science the plane crash and that is what is happing now in the book Hatchet.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happing now is Brian is thinking back to his first meat which was the fool bird he killed and ate but while standing by the lake and thinking about that he saw eating a lil pad was an animal and he didnt know what it was if it was a Cow or a Moose in the moment but when Brian went closer towards it, it started to charge him and hit him right in the ribs and Brian was hurt and everytime he tried getting up the Moose would charge him. When Brian got back to his shelter he was in bad pain but went to sleep. That is what I have read so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happing now is Brian woke up to a low roaring sound from outside his shelter and it was a tornado going through the lake and the woods. After the tornado went through he went and looked around and all of his things were gone like his shelter and fire and other things he made and even his fool bird was gone the one he just killed and was going to eat so now Brian thought and he was back to where it all began no shelter and no food. Brian was upset but he said to himself he wasn't done and said repeatedly is hat all you got. That is what I have read so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happing know is Brian is looking at the wreckage and looking for what he needs to rebuild the shelter he had made and the other things he had also made. Brian had to go get more wood for his fire to rebuild and make it luckily he already knew how to build one so it didn't take him any time like an hour Brian said in the book. Brian was by the lake and saw the tail of the plane and knew that if the tail was there the whole plane should be so after that Brian went to sleep.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening know is Brian woke up from his sleep in the morning and was expecting the tail of the plane to be gone but surprisingly it wasn't and so Brian was determined to go and explore the ship to maybe find some useful things like a fishing rod may be sleeping bag and food. Brian first needed to build a raft to go over the ship so he needed logs but there was a tone of them on the beach so he got to work after a little bit of working and building he was finished but getting out to the ship was not as easy as he thought it was hard because he would have to swim it out cause as soon as he put pressure on it, it sank. So after about 2 hours of swimming. When he there he looked for entrances but all were blocked off but then saw the pilot's body and felt like swimming back and forgetting the whole thing but the survival pack kept him from not going back he wanted that survival pack. That is what I have read so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening is Brian is at the plane looking for ways to get in but there isn't any so he was mad and punched the outside of it and to his surprise was easy to dent it so then he hit it again and indented it more then he remember the Hatchet and took it out and swung and it went through the aluminum like a knife through cheese that's what Brian said. Then as he was doing that the Hatchet slipped and fell into the body of the plane and Brian thought but went in after the Hatchet. Taking a deep breath he went down looked and couldn't find anything until he caught a grip of the handle and pulled it up. Now he was outside the plane with his Hatchet again. That is what I have read so far.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening now is Brian just got his Hatchet back and was ripping holes in the boat so he could look in for the survival bag but it was too dark and he couldn't see anything. So he knew he would need to take breathes and go back in. And so he had a way and pattern to get in and went down he looked around and still constantly coming up for air, going back down he found the survival bag but it was clipped on the seats then he looked over and there was the piolet and his face was being nibbled on and eating from the fish and then because of the thinking he forgot he was underwater and started to lose air and so he went up. Then next to him was the survival bag because it got unhooked and so he grabbed it excited cause of the stuff in there then put it on the raft and started to shore but his legs were weak that it felt like it was going nowhere. After a while of kicking, he stepped on the ground and just pushed it the rest of the way and he was finally back to shore.

I read more of the book Hatchet and what is happening is Brian has his survival bag that he recently got from the plane and so he was going threw it to see what was in there and what kind of treasure is in there. So he takes out like the sleeping bag he had to dry and other stuff had to dry. Things that Brian wasn't too sure to use as a rifle he found in the bag and somethings for fires and it just felt not right to use those when he was already using other methods for survival. Brian also found food in the survival bag and he was gonna make some food. That is what I have read so far in the book.

I read more of hatchet and brian is making the food he got in the survival and so he finally has pots and pans to do so and so he goes first to the lake to fill a pan with water for an orange drink which was in the food. When Brian was making his food he saw a plane and the plane hovered over the lake a bit but ended up landing and the pilot got out on to the sand without getting his feet wet and then said are you the guy who called us or the transmitter and it was Brian because in the survival bag was the transmitter and he flicked the switch to see if it work but Brian didn't think it did but really it did The pilot asked are you the Brian kid and he shook his head and then Brian introduced himself. So that was the end of the book Hatchet and I thought it was a really good book and I defiantly recommend it.