Topic: Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

Brisingr is the third book in the Inheritance series. The first two books were Eragon and Eldest, both of which I read and enjoyed. I'm really hoping this book is as good as the first two. I just read the first chapter, and I think it will be good. At the end of the last book, Eragon told Roran he would help Roran get Katrina back from the Ra'zac, the same ones who killed Garrow in the first book. Katrina was supposed to marry Roran, but then she got captured by the Ra'zac. In the first chapter of Brisingr, Eragon and Roran are at the base of Helgrind, the Ra'zac's mountainous lair. They just witnessed the priests of Helgrind make a flesh and blood sacrifice to the Ra'zac in some kind of ceremony. They were deeply disgusted after watching this happen, as I imagine any person would. When they had all left, Eragon searched the mountain with his mind to see if he could sense Katrina's consciousness. Eragon found a person, but he couldn't be sure if it was Katrina or not. He also sensed something else, something that Eragon chose not to tell his cousin about. Eragon didn't agree to help Roran just because he asked. Eragon wanted to protect his family. Garrow was like his father and Roran was like his brother. Since Roran was going to marry Katrina, Eragon extended that protectiveness to her too. Both Eragon and Roran wanted revenge for Garrow's death too.

Re: Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

I have continued to read Brisingr, the third installment in the Inheritance series. The day after Eragon and Roran saw the priests of Helgrind, they went into Helgrind to rescue Katrina from the Ra'zac. They flew on Saphira and when they got to the top of the mountain, they discovered that it was just an illusion and it wasn't a mountain. When they went inside, they saw that it was actually a cave big enough for the Lethrblaka, the Ra'zac's steeds. The Lethrblaka are actually grown up Ra'zac. The Ra'zac are the young ones of their race, and the Lethrblaka are their parents. The Lethrblaka are about the size of Saphira and have long beaks like the Ra'zac. Even when Eragon was inside Helgrind, he couldn't sense any living beings except Katrina and the other person. Suddenly, one of the Lethrblaka crashed into Saphira while Eragon and Roran were still on her. The other Lethrblaka and the two Ra'zac came and fought too. The Ra'zac had surrounded Roran and the Lethrblaka were fighting Saphira. During the fight, Eragon discovered that magic wouldn't work on the Ra'zac. Saphira managed to kill one of the Lethrblaka and one of the Ra'zac also died. The other Ra'zac disappeared into one of the many tunnels leading off from the main cave. While Eragon and Roran went to get Katrina, Saphira killed the other Lethrblaka. Saphira is probably my favorite character. She killed two Lethblaka, and she's not even a full-grown dragon yet. I don't think she's even a year old yet. Eragon found the cell that Katrina was in and while Roran worked on breaking open the door, Eragon looked in the other cells for the other person he sensed. It was Sloan. His eyes had been pecked out and he was way underfed. Eragon didn't want Roran or Katrina to know that he was still alive, so he put Sloan under a spell that would keep him sleeping. When Roran got into Katrina's cell, Eragon told them that he found Sloan with his neck broken. When they went back out to the main cavern where Saphira was, Katrina started to panic because she couldn't see in the light. She hadn't been outside since the Ra'zac took her. Eragon told her and Roran to get on Saphira and go back to the Varden. None of them wanted to leave without him, especially Saphira, but they went, with Saphira promising to come back in a week if Eragon wasn't back by them, He said he was going to see if there were any useful scrolls or information. He actually had to figure out what to do with Sloan. He knew he had to pay for his crimes, but he didn't want to kill him. Once he got them both down from Helgrind, he had an idea about what to do with Sloan.

When Eragon and Sloan were at the bottom of Helgrind, Eragon had an idea of what to do with Sloan. Sloan sold Katrina out to the Ra'zac, and Eragon felt he had to be punished for this but he didn't want to kill him. Eragon thought for a while and, while thinking about what he knew about Sloan, he came across Sloan's true name. It was just a guess, but an educated one and there were ways of proving that it was his true name. No one knows their true name, but there are people who could tell you. When someone knows your true name, they have complete power over you. If they know your true name, they can tell you to do anything and you are bound by the ancient language to do what it is they tell you. Knowing your own true name can destroy you. I don't know why, but the knowledge of one's true name can destroy them. When Eragon told Sloan his true name, he said "I know who I am and I cannot bear it....Free me from this agony....Kill me!"(Page 92)It was very important that Eragon found out Sloan's true name. Eragon contacted Queen Islanzadi to ask her to do something to help with Sloan. The Queen wasn't happy with the situation Eragon was in. He was alone in the wilderness without any supplies and he was with a traitor. Islanzadi was reluctant to agree, but she was needed in Eragon's plan for Sloan so she agreed. Eragon told Sloan that his punishment was that he couldn't see or talk to Katrina ever again, Sloan would also be forced to travel, blind, by foot to Ellesmera. Sloan would not go hungry and he wouldn't be attacked by animals. When Sloan got to Ellesmera, he would find sanctuary and the elves might let him see again. Eragon told Sloan all of this along with his true name, except for the part where Sloan could get his eyesight back. When he was done, Eragon went to sleep. When he woke up, Sloan was gone. While this was Happening, Nasuada was busy fighting for her role as the leader of the Varden. People from her father's tribe came to see her. It was strange for Nasuada to see other people with skin as dark as hers. They wanted to have positions of power in the Varden because their leader was her mother's cousin. Nasuada told them they had to work their way up just like everyone else. The leader, Fadawar, challenged Naduada to the Trial of the Long Knives. The Trail of the Long Knives is a challenge to see who is a better leader. Whoever wins becomes the leader of both contestants groups. Both people have a knife, and take turns cutting along the inside of their forearm. whoever can withstand the most cuts wins. Fortunately, Nasuada won and stayed the leader of the Varden. She managed to withstand 9 long cuts on her arms. Nasuada must have been really strong to be able to cut herself 9 times. She really is worthy of being the Varden's leader.

Before the Trial of the Long Knives, Elva (the child Eragon blessed and cursed in Farthen Dur) came to Nasuada. She said something like this would happen, but Nasuada was sure to win, she foresaw it. After the Trial, Elva said she actually saw the Nasuada would lose, but she told her otherwise to boost her confidence. Then Angela, the herbalist, came to see Nasuada. Angela said since she couldn't heal the cuts with magic there was no way of knowing if Nasuada was going to recover. They had to hope the cuts wouldn't get infected. Just as Angela was finishing bandaging Nasuada, someone came and said Eragon and Saphira were seen flying towards the camp. Everyone rushed out to the clearing big enough for a dragon, where a crowd had already gathered. Nasuada had the sleeves of her dress cut off at the elbows to show her cuts. She was proud to have withstood that many cuts in the Trial of the Long Knives. After a few minutes, Elva told Nasuada that Eragon wasn't on Saphra. Nasuada told everyone except the leaders to leave the field they waited on. King Orrin, Angela, Arya, a dwarf who had become the temporary leader, and the Urgal leader stayed with Nasuada and Elva. Nasuada told them that Eragon was not with Roran, Katrin, and Saphira. Nasuada told them their questions would be answered when Saphira landed. Before telling them why Eragon wasn't with them, Saphira asked Nasuada why she smelled like blood and who she should go rip apart. I like that Saphira is loyal and would kill for Nasuada even though she didn't swear fealty like Eragon. Saphira is definitely my favorite character. Nasuada assured her that everything was okay and no one needed to die. Then Saphira told them that Eragon chose to stay in Helgrind. She tried to get him to come with them, but he "insists upon doing what he thinks is right . . . no matter the consequences for him or the rest of Alagaesia."(page 123). Saphira showed them what happened at Helgrind. Both Nasuada and Arya thought something was weird about why Eragon stayed behind. Nasuada knew that Eragon wasn't foolish enough to stay in danger just to see if there were any new scrolls or potions. Orrin even knew this was the worst time for this to happen, when the Empire's army was so close. Arya asked where Saphia last saw Eragon and where he was intending to go. Saphira said Eragon didn't even know where he was going to go. Arya said she would just have to look everywhere, then ran off in the direction of Helgrind.

When Eragon was traveling back to the Varden, he had to hide more than once from people traveling. He almost got caught by Galbatorix's soldiers. Along the way, he saw some old ruins. Eragon went to explore the ruins and found someone gardening there. He introduced himself as Bergon son of Garrow. The person said his name was Tenga. Then he asked Eragon to help him weed the garden and he would get a free meal if he did. After they had eaten, Eragon found out the Tenga was a bit crazy and a spellcaster how said he had to 'answer the question'. Eragon left and continued on his journey. When he continued traveling, he couldn't avoid everyone he met, and he couldn't run anymore for fear of getting recognized. When he reached a village, he was with a group of people and couldn't avoid the village because it might look suspicious. He went to a hotel in this village to say the night. When he was in the bar downstairs, he saw a lady that looked like Arya, but more human. He reached out to her through their minds to see if it was really Arya. It was. They went up to Arya's room and Eragon told her about the real reason he stayed behind and what he did with Sloan. Arya thought he should have just killed Sloan. In the night, they left the village and continued running towards the Varden. When they stopped, Arya contacted Nasuada. She was glad to know Eragon was safe and with Arya. Arya said they should get back in about three days. Eragon also talked to Saphira. It was a bit weird because all the messages had to go through Nasuada. When they were done talking, Arya ended the message and they kept running.

While Eragon and Arya were on the way back to the Varden, Roran was training with the other men from the Varden. His time at Horst's forge and working on Garrow's farm had made him stronger than some of the other Varden members. Roran went to talk to Nasuada, at her request. She told Roran she wasn't sure what to do with him. She wanted to see what he could do for the Varden, but she really didn't want him to be killed because it would be exceptionally hard for Eragon, who was vital to the Varden's success. Roran wanted to fight, but not as a "common swordsman"(Page 160). Nasuada proposed that he go with a group to kill a small group of soldiers the next day. The person in command would report back on how Roran did. Roran agreed with that, except for one thing. Eragon was supposed to return in the next few days. Roran wanted to be there for his cousin. Nasuada expected that there was another reason for Roran to want to stay, and she was right. Roran and Katrina wanted to get married, and they wanted Eragon to marry them. After some discussion, Nasuada agreed to this. After Roran left, someone came to Nasuada's tent and said, "the elves are here!"(Page 165). It was the twelve elves that Queen Islanzadi sent to protect Eragon. Nasuada jumped on her horse and ran to the edge of the Varden, where the elves could be seen. When her guard caught up to her, the leader wasn't happy that Nasuada had left them like that, she should have waited for them. Angela and Elva were also there. The elves decided to stay with the Varden instead of going out to meet Eragon and Arya on their journey back to the Varden.