Topic: Read Theory Quiz - The Social Contract

Today, as part of a series of tests, I did a test on ReadTheory.org that seemed to strike a certain note with me; so to speak.  The quiz I completed was about 'The Social Contract'.  The Social Contract, as I knew before taking the quiz, is a book written by French author Jean-Jaques Rousseau. 

Funny coincidence, my older brother and I were instructed to read a book over the summer in return for $50.  The book given to my older brother to read was, guess what, The Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau. 

Neither my brother nor I finished our books.

The quiz I took was based around 2 passages about the Social Contract itself.

The first passage explained the history and origins of the Social contract.  After briefly explaining what the Social Contract is, the first passage cited three examples and time periods in which the Social Contract underwent some development.  The example I found most notable was the third and final paragraph, which talked about Rousseau's book and how it influenced the philosophy of the era.

The second passage focused on how the Social Contract came into play during the American Revolution and eventual writing and signing of the Declaration of Independence.  According to the passage, the declaration of Independence listed how Britain had broken the Social Contract with the Thirteen Colonies.

I found it very interesting to learn about an event I wasn't terribly familiar with prior.

This is not to say that I'm some sort of American history fanatic, but rather that I find interest in seeing a familiar sight from a new angle and seeing new and more interesting things, so to speak.

Re: Read Theory Quiz - The Social Contract

Through the power of Read Theory and some of my own luck, I managed to end up taking the same quiz twice.  After reading this quiz for the second time, I came to realize something.  This second reading reminded me of how the last quiz I wrote about made me think.  The last quiz I wrote about made me think about how influential societies such as the ancient classics had made their works of art, and then years later, a new society revisited those works, and adapted them.  This reading was very similar to that, in the sense that a form of art or literature was made, then some years later, it was revisited and studied by later generations.  This goes to show that a great or notable work of art can stand the test of time.  By studying works of art like those of the ancient classics, or in this case, the Social Contract, we can see that modern societies will take a favoured work of art, and further perfect it according to their beliefs, standards, or tastes.