Topic: Challanges To Our Survival

xenophobia is the greatest challenge to our survival because humans are  o scared of what they don't understand. People try to use hope to explain ideas and false solutions that we don’t understand or are too scared to believe.

Re: Challanges To Our Survival

By providing false solutions and wrong ideas, humans learn the corrections by testing these wrong ideas. With no start, how can we continue to improve?

Why not embrace that which we don't understand, as opposed to trying to destroy it?

Or without testing though false solutions and wrong ideas our conscience gets to the point where it doesn't know which way is up. Are we sure that we aren't there already?

Except Warren, that we find new ways to do some things in the world every day. New ideas are helping out our strive to understand our world. New ideas our changing our old views...and giving different insights on our old ideas!

I'm not saying that new ideas and methods don't shape our world, I am asking that if there was a wrong idea that everybody believed was a lie, wouldn't that change our sence of who we are and it would "screw up" our conscience, because a commonly accepted ideal would be wrong.
i.e. Everybody murders someone so that nobody cares about it anymore(except the people who are murdered, instants before they die). Our society may accept this but our conscience would have a difficult time surviving with this. It would have to drastically change, so we don't feel it any more.
The question is, has that change already happened? Has our conscience already adapted so we don't feel so much about something that people 19 years and 7 months ago cared about?

Does our fear of the unknown or even misunderstood stem from our fears of the known? Do we use our fear of what we know as a false explanation of what we do not understand? Why do we fear what we know? We know what is going to happen and that the result is inevitable yet we still fear it.

I would say that since we understand it, we fear it all the more. We know what the consequence will be so we fear for ourselves when that consequence is about to occur.

We fear what we know because we know the consiquences. If I didn't know what a bomb was I would think nothing of it. But all of the destruction it causes makes us fear it. Of course being blown up is inevitable if the bomb is going right for your house, we fear it because we fear [death].

I think that the fear of the known could all be bypassed if you sit back and ponder awhile. I'm not afraid of death, or afraid to die, so fearing bombs is a non issue.

Humans nurture fear as they grow older. Children are almost fearless. So how do humans develop the fear of certain things. For example, fear of mice. That is common in many humans. But it is not everyday that you hear that a mouse harmed a human being. So why do humans fear them?

Humans fear the unknown; if they don’t know anything about it then they are scared what it is capable of.  Mice for example, most humans don’t know what mice are capable of, like if they are carrying diseases or how much will it hurt if they bite them.  If you notice people who know what certain types of animals are capable of they are not scared of them because they know how to react to it, a marine biologist is not scared of sharks and whales and types of fish that live in the sea, because they know what triggers them to attack and how to react to them when they do attack.  That’s why humans a scared of mice, because we don’t anything about them.

The only reason children are fearless matt is because they have no idea about anything. We develop fear because of media, its starting to be cliche ...

machehade wrote:

Humans nurture fear as they grow older. Children are almost fearless. So how do humans develop the fear of certain things. For example, fear of mice. That is common in many humans. But it is not everyday that you hear that a mouse harmed a human being. So why do humans fear them?

Interesting point. I remember I was outgoing kid who didn't think before I did things. As I got older I became more afraid. Why? Because we know more. We don't swallow pennies anymore because we know we might choke. We don't eat plato because we don't want to get sick. Intelligence makes us fear.

Yes but advertisement creates  that intelligence. The comercial phrase, "Don'tcha put it in your mouth" emphasizes kids not to eat whatever they find that looks intriguing.

16 (edited by wmcauley 2006-09-01 13:57:28)

Techincally that wasn't advertising anything, it was more of a public service announcment, but I fully agree that the media and fear media (fedia) makes us aware of the unknown dangers.

fedia, i like that

In ways, the fear of the unknown or fedia, is a positive thing. If all people still retained a child-like conscience, how can humanity hope to survive? The media keeps us, to an extent, on the right path. Of course, many of the fedia's techniques are a tiny bit extravagant, but it keeps us on our toes.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.  -- Aristotle

If we cannot learn from the past, then how can we ever hope to succeed in the future? The ability to proceed cautiously, wary of danger, is an asset to the human race. This lesson can be learned directly from the animal kingdom. Reckless animals soon become lost to the food chain, in one way or another. 

Unfortunately, there is a fine line between discriminatory and healthy xenophobia. It is fine to be "on edge" when facing the unknown, but taking aggressive action is the real challenge to man's survival.  Should we defend that which is harmful, the human race has the potential to prosper beyond it's greatest dreams.

Do we live life "on the edge" when we fear the afterlife? Given that we truly are in control of our will, and God's love is without condition, then the greatest of unkowns, the afterlife, is not to be feared. Right?

Macbeth fears much, concludes utterly that he is to be damned, destroys all(and self) as hopeless narcissitic nihilist. He is a good swordsman, though.

What/who guarantees human survival in the afterlife? Macbeth ignores the possibility of answering that one. Tsk, tsk.