Topic: Qualities of Rock

What are the objective qualities common to all rocks, any time, any place in the universe?

Re: Qualities of Rock

"Objective truths are those which are discovered rather than created". So what are the qualities of a rock which have been discovered?

They're all hard .

jbardoel wrote:

They're all hard.

Subjective, a quality perceived in the mind because you perceive yourself as soft in comparison. "Hard" is more like an opinion which changes depending on the point of perception. Is there a "harder" rock" that thinks the rock you imagine is not so "hard" at all? Yes. Are there rocks which are not very "hard"? Yes. Therefore, "hard" is not an objective quality and is not on the list of objective qualities of rock.

Please try again.

What objective qualities does a rock have?

mkasyan wrote:

"Objective truths are those which are discovered rather than created". So what are the qualities of a rock which have been discovered?

Exactly the question you have been asked.

They're solid and good for breaking windows.

...On a serious note, rocks are sorta the foundation of everything, if you think about it.
They're used to build and create and without them we wouldn't have alot of the things we've created.
>__>
Probably not what you were asking, but I'm not really a philosopher.

Rinakins wrote:

They're solid and good for breaking windows

Subjective. Solid = synonym for hard.

The objective quality should be found within the rock, not a quality given to it by an outside agent.

Example, a rock has mass no "sorta" about it.

All rocks, all times, all places, everywhere in the universe have mass.

What other objective qualities does a rock have?

dsader wrote:
Rinakins wrote:

They're solid and good for breaking windows

Subjective. Solid = synonym for hard.

The objective quality should be found within the rock, not a quality given to it by an outside agent.

Example, a rock has mass no "sorta" about it.

All rocks, all times, all places, everywhere in the universe have mass.

What other objective qualities does a rock have?

Can I give up? Cause that's what I'm doing. This makes no sense.

mkasyan wrote:

Can I give up? Cause that's what I'm doing. This makes no sense.

Once a learned man, a professor and renowned intellectual was crossing the river in a boat. The Professor started chatting with the boatman.

“Tell me do you have knowledge of philosophy?”
“No, Sir I don’t?”
“Then, my man, one fourth of your life has been wasted,” declared the Professor very grandly.
The poor boatman just looked down and kept rowing the boat.
“Okay now tell me do you have any knowledge of the sciences?”
“Alas Sir, I don’t”
“Then fifty per cent of your life is wasted,” announced the Professor his eyes full of pity for the ignorant boatman.
“Okay, now tell me do you at least have any knowledge of literature”
“No sir, I don’t.”
“Poor man, three fourth of your life has been wasted,” the Professor said.
Just then the boat got caught in a whirlpool.
The boatman looked at the Professor, “Learned Sir, do you have any knowledge of swimming.”
“No, I don’t,” the Professor replied a puzzled expression on his face.
“Then Sir, your entire life is wasted,” the boatmen said, and jumping into the river swam away to safety.

In this story, the boatman argues that there is little practical value in learning about Philosophy, Science, Literature - if one's life is about to be snuffed out by a giant whirlpool. Is he right, though, that the Professor should have learned only to swim and nothing else?

You have been asked this year to focus on the objective qualities that make us human.

I argue what one should not move on to defining the qualities of human unless one is certain of the qualities which define a rock, a carrot, and a bunny.

Why ask permission to give up this quest, yet do so anyway? You know a teacher would not permit you to give up, yet you do so anyway. Curious. Would I teach others how to give up? Should you?

Anyway, do not give up. "Stay in the boat."

Ask your science teacher about the qualities of rock. Let him know we have "mass" on our list already. 3-4 more qualities remain.

Hint: Think about really, really, really small rocks - the smallest rocks have qualities that all rocks have.

Really, really small rocks are like lego, "inert". Meaning they are not chemically active, or having no power of action or motion. So, a rock is indeed, like lego, and velcro, perhaps in a way that they stick (for lack of a better word) together. Democritus discovered the atom, did he not? (Thank you Science class) And he said that 'atoms have "hooks" and "barbs" that joined together to form all things we see around us', so to say basically that atoms make up everything around us?

All rocks are made up of the many minerals they have inside them. Minerals that define who they are or where they came from. These rocks are much more than just "Hard" and they have much more of a use then to just "break windows". They make up what the earth has always been, and what will be. Really you can compare rock qualities to human qualities in this sense. Rocks are made up of small minerals, one might even say "DNA". Humans as well have DNA. It's what we use to classify each other into different categories. i.e Races, Families, Species even. It's the same for a rock. There's the possibility of being able to find where the rock came from, when it was made, etc. Just because of these small particles.

http://z.about.com/d/geology/1/0/G/z/marble500.jpg

Rock:
• mass
• weight
• charge
• inert

Carrots have a bit more on their list.

All rocks hurt you when you get hit with one. Unless its a tiny grain of sand.

All rocks are not alive. The oldest living organisms on earth may look like a rock but they dont contain the same properties.