1 (edited by nsancaster 2009-10-28 18:02:38)

Topic: Apocoliptic thoughts

I have one thing to say about all of the apocoliptic jabber that seems to be a constant concept for all forum questions that I have read recently. That is Why? If we were meant to die by an unspeakable force or by natural extremes than why were we set upon the Earth in the first place. I realize the concept of the seven seals. But that does beg the question, if you wish to consder this as a biblical concept, than why wouldn't god have destroyed us at the vary moment we learnt of the knowledge that would eventualy and apparently inevitably destroy us. Is it by our own forsaken innovations and inventions that we will end ourselves. And if so than why do we allow ourselve to become so in depth and look within. For is it not through knowledge that we gain power and through power we gain arrogance and concet as well as prejudic against one another. And Is it not possible that through the extremes that we go to today, be it raceism and discrimination that we may destroy one another out of pure spite or contemp, even revenge. So I do not beleive that god has forsaken us but rather that we have forsaken ourselves.

Re: Apocoliptic thoughts

I agree the forums are dominated by apocalyptic topics at the moment.

Look at the marquee of any theatre or the banner splash of any news website. It would appear that "the end is near" is a quite popular notion in the collective imagination.

These are hot topics, and we shouldn't shy away from posting pathways to truth and blowing holes in fallacies and rumor.

Variety is creeping in. Check out the "Book Talk" topics.

We have been granted the ability to choose, and choose wisely we must.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like Yoda, there.

There is one point I did neglect to mention wich could be considered to be top of the list in reasons behind such issues as descrimination and cults and wars over religeon and that is Ignorance.

id rather discuss wars than peace

Nathen everyone has thought about dieing or how the worlds going to end once in their life no one just walks away from the topic most people would join in if we were talking how do you think the world will end everyone wonders.

Perhaps a good book to read would be one that focus on the awakening of intelligence in our oldest ancestor.

Read about Moon-watcher, from Clarke's 2001-A Space Odyessey.

What was the intelligent thought the first human being had? What human first became aware of their own mortality? What thought came to mind when the earliest human first "watched" the moon?

i agree with u nathan. I think it will be our own fault we are wiped out. It will either be because of World War 3 or because of some invention that we will fight and die for.

I find that the further we dig ourselves into this hole which we call the search for peace the harder it is to get ourselves back out again. If you think about it its like we are going in the wrong direction fighting for a better position, self preservation, burrowing deeper into the ground to get away from the fire rather than staying to try and put it out together. We build weapons of destruction to fight and intimidate the foe when when really it will never resolve the initial problem. We as a race are going in the wrong direction there is no enemy only diversity. Yet there is the increasing problem of the growing acceptation of war where people are accustom to the idea that war is just a part of every day life. thus the growing hole we dig ourselves into.

nsancaster wrote:

I find that the further we dig ourselves into this hole which we call the search for peace the harder it is to get ourselves back out again. If you think about it its like we are going in the wrong direction fighting for a better position, self preservation, burrowing deeper into the ground to get away from the fire rather than staying to try and put it out together. We build weapons of destruction to fight and intimidate the foe when when really it will never resolve the initial problem. We as a race are going in the wrong direction there is no enemy only diversity. Yet there is the increasing problem of the growing acceptation of war where people are accustom to the idea that war is just a part of every day life. thus the growing hole we dig ourselves into.

"Perpetual peace is no empty idea, but a practical thing which, through its gradual solution, is coming always nearer its final realization..." - Immanuel Kant

I must ask mr. Sader, do you beleive in the possibility of perpetual peace? I know for a fact that I want to beleive in the possibility. Perhaps thats all thats needed, if everyone beleived in the possibility than we would not have to worry because the concept is vastly understood.