Topic: Discuss "Stains"
I. Read "Stains."
III. Consider any of the following questions:
1. How does the first paragraph set the mood and tone for the story?
2. In the last paragraph, the author describes common, mundane tasks that the mother performs. Why would the author end the story in this way?
3. What do you think happened to the son? What were the reasons behind what happened? Why does the author hold back some important information until later in the story?
4. Why does the mother feel guilty about her son? Explain whether or not you think this guilt is justified.
5. What do you think happens at the end of the story?
IV. Write a story about hunches.